Chicken with recurring impacted crop - WON'T DRINK WATER

I am actually almost out the door with a poop sample for the vet:) ... We did the Mycoplasmosis test...it came negative....we also gave her Tylon for 2 weeks, the gaping came back....now we are misting her with Oxine every day, 3-4 times a day 10 min sessions... We will consider worming her too... Are chickens supposed to have liquid poop sometimes? (especially if they have half a lot of food liquified with water) and Can she still have worms/parasites if you don't see any in her stool?

WE are SO grateful for all your advice and postings!!!!!!! I cannot tell you how important it is to us - first timers with chickies!!

I'll post soon on the fecal test results~ :)))))

Hi Kathy~

We are still waiting for the call from the vet... I'll post everything she said very soon~
Thank you for asking :))))

~Yana

I have a turkey with the same prob right now ive been thinking it was worms so that is what I am treating for at this time. He coughs and breaths with his mouth open and sound congested at times bat acts and eats normally. He always sounds horse can hardly gobble at this time. This is his first day on new wormer I got at the farm store

Well, the vet called and they didn't find anything. No worms, no parasites. Nothing to report now.

Gigi is getting worse, she doesn't eat or drink. She is wobbly on her feet. We just tube fed her again, same routine - vitamins, electrolytes, soft foods. She threw a little up, but now she just sits. We are keeping her warm - but at this point - it seems we are out of options/ideas.

Thank you everyone for your help, and if something changes - we'll post an update.

Well, the vet called and they didn't find anything. No worms, no parasites. Nothing to report now.

Gigi is getting worse, she doesn't eat or drink. She is wobbly on her feet. We just tube fed her again, same routine - vitamins, electrolytes, soft foods. She threw a little up, but now she just sits. We are keeping her warm - but at this point - it seems we are out of options/ideas.

Thank you everyone for your help, and if something changes - we'll post an update.
I am very glad there are no worms. One less thing for little Gigi to suffer from! If only we knew the diagnosis so we could help her.

I am so glad at least you can keep her somewhat comfortable.

I know this is a very old post but I was just wondering if either ChickensAreSweet or anybody else has had a similar problem and figured out what is the underlying cause and what has helped? I have been dealing with essentially the exact same thing for the past month with one of my hens, I know that she likely has an impaction of either her crop or gizzard---or maybe both??? I have tried everything that is listed on this forum ( following TwoCrows article suggestions for both sour and impaction) with minimal improvement. I have treated her for worms, coccidiosis, yeast, and a round of Baytril and doxy. Interestingly her appetite has improved as well as her overall behavior intermittently but she still will not touch water and I've been having to either tube her liquids or give her SC for over a month now. Thankfully I have gotten her back up to her baseline weight and she has maintained it for the last two or so weeks, but I also worry about her absorption of certain nutrients as she does have some strange symptoms like intermittent tremors and twitches which I'm sure are secondary to vitamin or electrolyte imbalances. Droppings have been all over the spectrum from completely normal to pretty much everything that I have seen in the archives of abnormal looking poop except for I haven't seen any signs of blood or live worms. Right now she's back on copper sulfate in her water, nystatin and colace.

I am hesitant to take her to one of my local vets as I have already been to 4 different 'avian' vets with other chickens and problems and have had not the best experience. I don't think they have much experience with chickens (i.e. another two of mine had sour crops but the vet didn't have a clue what I was trying to tell her they had and meds they needed.... pretty frustrating) so after dropping hundreds of dollars Everytime, not getting any answers (or the wrong ones) I have always resorted back to doing my own exhaustive research and treating my chickens with success.

But at one month I am getting a little bit concerned whether or not this is a potential surgical issue (?) or if there is anything else I can try on my end. I'm hoping that there's somebody out there in this forum that has any past experience that they can share or any ideas or suggestions that would be much, much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:
My hen had an impaction of grass last summer. She looked bad but passed it. This summer she had a water filled crop, got better, but then an impacted crop, the vet emptied it with a tube, but noted that even on a liquid diet it was emptying too slow indicating a blockage further down or a tumor or adhesions. The crop was full of mostly dirt. She sent me home with medicines and a high Calorie desolvable food. And said to let her forage first quality of life but not to give scratch or solid food. Her crop was full and hard within a couple of days. Her poop was thin with little pebbles in it. She slowly got more lethargic. I really don’t know what was wrong. And it makes me very sad.

Back
Top Bottom