Chicken with sour crop. Can't get to vets today. Please help!!

Bethemma

In the Brooder
May 21, 2017
I have an ex batter chicken, Frida (2yrs old, 1.94kg). Over the last few days she seemed a bit under the weather and today she is not right at all. Not eating and very droopy and not moving around. I have felt her crop and it is very large and squishy so I think it is sour crop. I cannot get her to the vets today although they have prescribed Nystatin (anti fungal) over the phone which I can order from an online pharmacy. I don't want to try emptying it myself as I have never done it before and don't want to endanger her further.
Is there any chance that the Nystatin could clear up the problem by itself without physically emptying her crop?
I'm worried that it might be a blockage that has led to the sour crop in which case I don't see that Nystatin itself would help.
Any advise gratefully appreciated, she is a much loved pet and I really want to help her!
Thanks in advance
Beth :)

Last edited:
Hope Frida feels better soon. Google says about putting apple cider vinegar in the water. This is something we've also often done. They also say about holding the hen upside down but I could never do that. Also garlic is anti bacterial and anti fungal so maybe try her with a bit of chopped garlic? Not too much, but maybe half a clove. Just a suggestion. Hope everything goes ok.

I would separate her from the others, withhold food and water for now. Give the Nystatin asap. She may be able to clear it on her own. But if her crop doesn't start to empty over the course of the day you may have to physically empty it. The longer it sits, the more toxic it becomes.

I would separate her from the others, withhold food and water for now. Give the Nystatin asap. She may be able to clear it on her own. But if her crop doesn't start to empty over the course of the day you may have to physically empty it. The longer it sits, the more toxic it becomes.

thanks for the advice. I can't find an online pharmacy (uk) that actually has nystatin/medistatin if anyone knows of any please let me know. Also it seems like Nystatin is to be given with food which wont be possible as she isn't eating anything.

Nystatin also sells under the brand names of Bio-Statin, Mycostatin, Nilstat.

If you can't find it than you can try using Miconazole. It's usually sold to treat women's yeast infections.

I would give it without food for now. If the crop starts to empty then you can reintroduce small amounts of food.
Here is a link to a good article about treating crop issues.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom