Chicken with Strange Toes?

seanarino

In the Brooder
May 30, 2021
So, I have a chicken named Greensleeves - she's named after a variety of rose that's naturally greenish. We also call her Rosie. I never noticed this previously when she was a chick, but now that they're all grown up (and I'm not sure of where to put this thread!) I noticed something strange with her feet while I was taking the zip-tie makeshift bands off and putting real bands on:

Rosie has strange back toes! They look like two toes fused side by side, and the mega-toe has two nails and a indent that makes it look like two toes side-by-side. I don't have pictures because she's a little exhausted from the wild chicken chase we had to do to catch her to change her band, but I've never seen this before and was just wondering if it was common.

Post pictures?

Sounds like polydactly.
20200503_160132.jpg
It's a mutation that gives Silkies, Dorkings, Faverolles, & Sultans five toes.

Some breeds have extra toes.
What kind if chicken do you have
Here is an article showing some of the breeds.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAKegQIEBAC&usg=AOvVaw2kuyJYvK-s3nl13yXzqJOv
Can you post a picture?
Post pictures?

Sounds like polydactly.View attachment 2696178It's a mutation that gives Silkies, Dorkings, Faverolles, & Sultans five toes.
Two of my chickens (Poppy and Greensleeves) are either Asian Blacks or Australorps.
Magnolia is a Golden Laced Wyandotte (I assume, at least.)
Thistle, Petunia, and Primrose are Buff (Laced?) Polish Crested.

I can't post pictures right now because they're in for the night and also because I don't wanna bother her any more by chasing her around again after doing it the first time to change her bands out, unfortunately. I assume it's a case of polydactyly as well.

Are her feet shaped like the photo MysteryChicken posted? Or different?

I had a special needs hen with extra toes but her feet were also misshapen, so the toes didn't look like what a Silkie or Faverolles would have. She had 3 normal size toes in front but 2 very short back toes, which caused some balance issues and a lot of bumblefoot. Just mentioning it since that'll be something to keep an eye out for, if she has abnormal feet.

Are her feet shaped like the photo MysteryChicken posted? Or different?

I had a special needs hen with extra toes but her feet were also misshapen, so the toes didn't look like what a Silkie or Faverolles would have. She had 3 normal size toes in front but 2 very short back toes, which caused some balance issues and a lot of bumblefoot. Just mentioning it since that'll be something to keep an eye out for, if she has abnormal feet.
They're not quite like that - the back toes are connected side by side like as if they looked like they were just two fingers being held together but they were attached. Otherwise her feet look normal and I didn't notice this until just tonight!

They're not quite like that - the back toes are connected side by side like as if they looked like they were just two fingers being held together but they were attached. Otherwise her feet look normal and I didn't notice this until just tonight!
Fused toes are seen in polydactly too. I see this with my silkies 4th, & 5th toes being fused.

Two of my chickens (Poppy and Greensleeves) are either Asian Blacks or Australorps.
Magnolia is a Golden Laced Wyandotte (I assume, at least.)
Thistle, Petunia, and Primrose are Buff (Laced?) Polish Crested.

I can't post pictures right now because they're in for the night and also because I don't wanna bother her any more by chasing her around again after doing it the first time to change her bands out, unfortunately. I assume it's a case of polydactyly as well.
I completely understand, mine don’t like to be messed with at night. Only my sweet little Silkie roo is happy to see me at night. He makes sure that if I am late putting them up at night he goes in and it on the part of the roost bar closest to the door so he can get some good night pettings.

Fused toes are seen in polydactly too. I see this with my silkies 4th, & 5th toes being fused.
Oh, okay!

I completely understand, mine don’t like to be messed with at night. Only my sweet little Silkie roo is happy to see me at night. He makes sure that if I am late putting them up at night he goes in and it on the part of the roost bar closest to the door so he can get some good night pettings.
Yeah mine are the "it's dark leave me alone don't look at me or I will actually cry." type deal. Which like, same, honestly.

Back
Top Bottom