Chicken with Strange Toes?

They're not quite like that - the back toes are connected side by side like as if they looked like they were just two fingers being held together but they were attached. Otherwise her feet look normal and I didn't notice this until just tonight!
Interesting! So both extra toes and they're fused. I assume she has no issues getting around?

It's not an issue if it doesn't bother her but I wouldn't hatch her eggs (if that was something you ever considered, now or future).

Does it look like this?
20210326_151132.jpg

So, I have a chicken named Greensleeves - she's named after a variety of rose that's naturally greenish. We also call her Rosie. I never noticed this previously when she was a chick, but now that they're all grown up (and I'm not sure of where to put this thread!) I noticed something strange with her feet while I was taking the zip-tie makeshift bands off and putting real bands on:

Rosie has strange back toes! They look like two toes fused side by side, and the mega-toe has two nails and a indent that makes it look like two toes side-by-side. I don't have pictures because she's a little exhausted from the wild chicken chase we had to do to catch her to change her band, but I've never seen this before and was just wondering if it was common.
I have this case with one of my EE's. As they are mainly Araucanas, but are not exactly pure bred. The place where we got them from had a Silkie so think that's where she got the 5 toe trait from as it is dominant over 4 toes. Dose the 5th toe never touch the ground on a flat surface? This is the case with mine. All perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

I would bet it's just a genetic defect, but I don't know how likely it will be passed down.

My boy walks and moves just fine with it, and you wouldn't notice without looking, of you're worried about survivability
oh, alright! yeah, you cant tell any difference with her, i mean i had only noticed a while ago!
I have this case with one of my EE's. As they are mainly Araucanas, but are not exactly pure bred. The place where we got them from had a Silkie so think that's where she got the 5 toe trait from as it is dominant over 4 toes. Dose the 5th toe never touch the ground on a flat surface? This is the case with mine. All perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.
oooh, i see. but no, ours is two fused back toes- but thank you all for the help!

Back
Top Bottom