Chicken with swollen eyes and nasal discharge

so far so good. the duramycin is keeping it from getting worse. she seems to be somewhat comfortable. forcing liquids when she'll drink and giving crumbles/mash.

got a light brahma roo that has got it in both eyes but not the nasal issue yet but caught it sooner than her.

thank you everyone for your input. it is really helpful.

Lanatwo is correct. The foul odor is an indication of coryza and you can treat with sulmet, but they can remain carriers for life spreading it to others especially when stressed. Here's a link to respiratory diseases, you can scroll down to Infectious Coryza and read up on it if you wish:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
Thank you for the link to the respiratory diseases! I just added three 12 week old pullets to my flock. One of them looked a little run down, so the lady I purchased them from gave her to me for free and suggested I keep all three separate from my existing flock. In hindsight I should have probably passed on all of them. The first one that was sick was squinting her eyes, but they weren't swollen. She also wasn't keeping herself well groomed. She had poo on her feathers and was missing feathers around her vent. She was eating and drinking fine though. To my inexperienced eyes she just looked like she felt the way I do when I get bad cold or allergies. Once I got her home I noticed she had thin watery discharge from nose and was sneezing. That night I noticed she was breathing a little funny. The NEXT day she looked a bit better, but now the other two have runny noses and are sneezing! So far everyone in my existing flock seem fine.

Looking at the link from earlier, I don't THINK it's anything life threatening. My question is, how long does it take for the "less severe" respiratory diseases to run their course?

We just figured out my flock has coryza
sad.png
We found some sulfmet yesterday and gave it to them but do not seem to be doing better today. How long does sulfmet take to start working on killing this, I lost 5 girls so far and about half of my flock has the symptoms. I need help/advice quickly so I can save my flock!! I have been crying for 2 days, this is soooo hard
sad.png

Should I force some down their throats and if so how much??

please help

well, still alive but very congested. drips goop and i keep q-tipping it up. giving lots of liquid meds and vit/min water.

have a few more that showed up with symptoms. going to go to tsc and see if i can get some tylan if they have it.

thanks everyone for your help. my eyes are all sore from being a big wuss. just can't bring myself to cull, although when the time comes, it will be done.

Quote:
Hi sbtgal,

That's how it got into my flock too. And the person I bought them from knew they were sick, but I was new at dealing with chicken illnesses and didn't recognise it. There was no respiratory distress, but I bought five into my flock, and one of them just appeared a little listless and sleepy. Nothing major or so I thought at the time. I hope the rest of your flock doesn't catch it.

female brahma died this morning. she showed symptoms for one day, weepy eye, a light sneeze, and no discharge from nasal. she didn't have smell either. gave her lots of liquid meds and vit/min water. tsc wont have tylan til this morning and hubby is on the way already to get it!

third to die so far. i guess those odds aren't too bad.

thing that sucks though is i have about 50 chicks in stage brooders that i don't know what to do with now. i know i can't introduce them but i can't sell them either. any suggestions? (they are in the basement)

got the first dose of Tylan in four chickens this morning.

my black ee seems to be responding. got a huge clot of infection out of his eye this afternoon and nose isn't so drippy. i have my fingers crossed.

another brahma seems to be on his way out. i now have three males and one female left. i am guessing that they aren't the breed for me.
sad.png

Re OP post #17:

Can you build another (temporary) coop for your 50 chicks in another place so
infection is not spread? Would it be worth the cost and effort? Or do you know
someone nearby that can help?

i don't know if that would be a good idea. all my chickens are free range. they have been into everything. since the chicks haven't been exposed by outside living, i wondered if it would be safe to sell all of them. i just don't know and would rather not risk selling or giving away bad chicks.

if another coop were set somewhere else, would they still be infected? is it one of those, we'll have to see how it goes by trying it? losing the ones i have is heartwrenching. losing more is just devastating.

Back
Top Bottom