Chicken with tail feathers picked out

Isabella F

Chirping
Jun 10, 2017
Ct
Hi everyone I got a Americana pullet and just realised that all but one of its tail feathers have been picked out. I'm not too worried about why because I think it was just an overcrowding issue based on where I got it. But, is there anything I can do to help keep the wounds safe? should I put anything on them? I think it looks worse than it is.Thanks, I'm kind of a newbie at this and don't know what to do. Here are some pictures.
IMG_20171013_175748796.jpg

IMG_20171013_175728715.jpg

Bluekote will help hide the wound and is an antiseptic. Put it down while it's still wet so any curious pecking will result in a bad taste. Repeat as often as necessary.

Is that her vent where she has been wounded? If so, that is very serious, and may be damage to her little vent. The cloaca, or vent is where the large intestines and the oviduct come together, where she poops and will eventually lay eggs. If damaged she may not be able to do those things normally. Vent pecking can lead to cannibalism. It can happen from over crowding, boredom, and sometimes from not getting enough protein in their feed. What are they eating? Do they get outside to free range every day? Most chickens need about 4 square feet of room per bird, and much more if not getting outside to roam. Protein in feed needs to be at least 16-20% or they may peck out feathers. I would get some Vetericyn wound spray, and apply it twice a day. Separate her in a dog crate with food and water. Keep it inside the coop where she remains part of the flock. When it seems to be healing you can switch to plain neosporin ointment or BluKote.

What is Neosporin? We just got her, so we don't know what they were feeding but I do know that they were a bit overcrowded. She's only with one on other bird who we watched and they are not there not pecking each other at all.

Neosporin is also called triple antibiotic ointment, available in fisrt aid aisles of most stores. Vetericyn and BluKote are found in feed stores. If it is above the vent, it may be her preen gland that produces oil, and it is spread over their feathers when they groom themselves. I am not sure how it could have been injured without another pecking it, so you may want to investigate. She may have been pecked before you got her, and when there is red they will peck it.

Get the neosporin, or triple antibiotic ointment WITHOUT Pain Relief. The ingredient used for pain relief can kill chickens.
I already used it. With the pain relief. How does it kill the chicken?
Neosporin is also called triple antibiotic ointment, available in fisrt aid aisles of most stores. Vetericyn and BluKote are found in feed stores. If it is above the vent, it may be her preen gland that produces oil, and it is spread over their feathers when they groom themselves. I am not sure how it could have been injured without another pecking it, so you may want to investigate. She may have been pecked before you got her, and when there is red they will peck it.
When I mean is the tail feathers.

I looked at it again when the blood had dried and I think that it was just one smaller wound and the blood smeared.

Plain neosporin is best. There should not be a problem using it only once, but the pain relievers such as benzocaine, lidocaine, and pramacaine/pramoxin should be avoided since they can be toxic. Let us know how it heals.

Back
Top Bottom