Chicken with Tumor???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Otterpop, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Otterpop

Otterpop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2009
    Recently one of my Barred Rocks developed a swollen eye (or at least the area around the eye is swollen). It happened very rapidly, swelling to it's current size...which is VERY large. At first I thought she either got pecked or poked her eye on something in the coop. However, there is no external abrasion which would indicate that kind of an injury. I am wondering now if maybe she doesn't have a tumor??? Besides the fact that she looks as if she's got two heads she perfectly fine. She eats, drinks, squawks, lays eggs, etc. Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    Wow that sure sounds strange. Can you have a closer look? Maybe get a picture and describe how it feels. Might help
    Maybe it's an absis (Sp?) [​IMG]

3. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
  4. Otterpop

Otterpop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2009
    I can't for the life of me figure out how to upload a picture. The entire area around her eye is huge today, and it's also hot. I do agree that this very well could be an abscess (it's definitely not a sinus thing because she's got none of those symptoms). I've looked up some procedures for draining the abscess. Has anyone else ever had experience with draining an abscess on their chicken's face before? If this doesn't work, or it turns out not to be an abscess, it will probably be her time to go to chicky heaven. [​IMG]

5. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    To load a picture, you click on the "uploads" link at the top of the page. After the new window pops up, click "browse". Find the picture you want to upload and click "open", then click "submit". When the picture is submitted, right click on the link that says "image". Click "copy". Then go to your post and right click again, this time click "paste". Make sure that the link that pops up is spaced away from any other words or punctuation, and it should work!

6. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Haven't tried it with an abscess, but for swollen sinus I stick a 16g or 18g needle into the swollen area and use the syringe to suck the gunk out - 5cc of turkey snot is good for grossing people out [​IMG]. I would think that could work for an abscess too. Then if you pull on the plunger of the syringe and puss comes out, you'll know that it's an infection. If you do that, I strongly recommend that you don't have your face too close or have something over it, because if it's an abscess, stuff could squirt out as soon as you puncture it.

7. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I have used this method for abscesses on my dogs and goats. Yes--keep you face away and use sterile techniques. Coat with an antibiotic cream or gel and all should be good! Terri O

8. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Somerville
    Wondering how this turned out? I have the same problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by