Chicken with vent prolapse???

Ali18ob

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2016
Scotland
Hi guys,
I have an isa brown hen ( two and a half years old approx ) and it appears she has a vent prolapse. He vent area is bald from feather picking anyway, but was wondering if there is any way to fix the prolapse?
Thanks

Bring her in and give her a soaking in a warm epsom salts solution. Clean the prolapse and apply some hemorrhoid cream or honey, this will help reduce inflammation. Offer extra calcium (Tums, Liquid Calcium if you have it). It won't hurt to give her some poultry vitamins - direct dose of Poultry Nutri-Drench is good (1cc per 3lbs.).

Gently push the prolapse to see if it will go back in. Sometimes, depending on how badly it's prolapsed or how swollen, it may not go back in first attempt. Keep the tissue moist with ointment, let her rest, then wait for the inflammation to go down. You may need to repeat the soaking/applying ointment, etc.

Keeping her hydrated is priority - a dehydrated hen has a harder time contracting the prolapse back in, so plenty of water. You can offer her some egg or tuna in addition to her normal feed.

Keep her warm. Let us know how she is doing.

Here's a more detailed treatment plan:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

Last edited:
Isa browns are a production hen meaning they lay eggs and that is pretty much what they are about.At slaughter weight you barely get any meat off their carcass. I also went through the exact same thing with my large flock of 150 isa browns. I do not know if they are prone to it as a breed. We lost a lot of hens. Wish I would have known about backyard chickens then ! One small speck of advice that we learned from that was that we had too many roosters and our nest boxes were not quite right ... too high. We also learned that this can be caused by stress factors ....overcrowding and bad coop conditions. But I honestly wonder if this breed is prone as I also encountered the exact same problem from the same breed. Just curious how old are they?

Back
Top Bottom