Chicken with watery mucus droppings, lethargic and weak, not eating, crop is squishy.

Blessed092001

Chirping
Jan 14, 2022
2 days ago my chicken laid an egg on the roost. Crushed shell, yolk in the nest box. Yesterday, I pulled her from the coop. Today, she's barely able to stand. Very sick! Her crop is squishy. Help!

How full is her crop? Do you know if it emptied this morning?
It sounds like she has sour crop, here's an article on how to treat.->

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

How full is her crop? Do you know if it emptied this morning?
It sounds like she has sour crop, here's an article on how to treat.->

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I don't think the crop is the essue. She has projectile diarrhea and is very weak. I don't know if it's bacterial or cocci. I took a fecal sample to the vet today. Whatever hit her, it hit fast and furious. I'm treating her for cocci, just in case. She's drinking but not eating. I'll be getting the results of the fecal test in the morning, whether it's parisites or not. If not, I don't know what else I can do.

I don't think the crop is the essue. She has projectile diarrhea and is very weak. I don't know if it's bacterial or cocci. I took a fecal sample to the vet today. Whatever hit her, it hit fast and furious. I'm treating her for cocci, just in case. She's drinking but not eating. I'll be getting the results of the fecal test in the morning, whether it's parisites or not. If not, I don't know what else I can do.
How old is she? Is her abdomen bloated at all? Any other chickens acting off?

How old is she? Is her abdomen bloated at all? Any other chickens acting off?
Shes 2 1/2 years old. Yes her abdomen felt soft but not enlarged. Shes unable to roost now so shes lying down on the floor of the kennel. Very weak. The other chickens seem to be behaving normally. I'm watching them very closely.

Shes 2 1/2 years old. Yes her abdomen felt soft but not enlarged. Shes unable to roost now so shes lying down on the floor of the kennel. Very weak. The other chickens seem to be behaving normally. I'm watching them very closely.
Does she waddle at all when she walks? What breed is she?

Does she waddle at all when she walks? What breed is she?
No waddling. I felt no egg. Shes an Easter egger. She got her mom's leghorn gene when it comes to egg laying. She lays a lot of eggs but the last one she laid, I think, may have broken inside of her. I found a crumbled shell under the roost and some yolk in the egg box plus some watery poo in the eggbox. So I think the diarrhea probably started this past Sunday or Monday.

No waddling. I felt no egg. Shes an Easter egger. She got her mom's leghorn gene when it comes to egg laying. She lays a lot of eggs but the last one she laid, I think, may have broken inside of her. I found a crumbled shell under the roost and some yolk in the egg box plus some watery poo in the eggbox. So I think the diarrhea probably started this past Sunday or Monday.
Could you get a picture of her? Does she have a messy bottom?
I would get calcium citrate +D3 and give her one tablet once a day. Also you can try and give her some warm baths with epsom salt if you have any.

Surprisingly, no messy bottom but it will be by morning because she is lying on the floor now. I will get a picture of her for you in the morning. I do have epsom salts. Are the calcium tabs sold at tractor supply?

Surprisingly, no messy bottom but it will be by morning because she is lying on the floor now. I will get a picture of her for you in the morning. I do have epsom salts. Are the calcium tabs sold at tractor supply?
Check her crop early in the morning and see if it empties.
I don't think you can get the calcium at tsc, but you can get it at Walmart or a pharmacy.

Back
Top Bottom