Chicken with yellow infection in throat

georgieboy11

Songster
5 Years
Jan 12, 2018
Indiana
I swear it’s just one thing after another.. yesterday I was throwing grass into the run for the chickens and noticed one of my hens Mocha going to eat it but never actually picking it up and eating it. I checked her all over and see nothing wrong on the outside but noticed she smelled strongly of infection around her mouth so I check and about half of her throat is full of some yellow infection. Since then I’ve quarantined her and she will not eat or drink anything. She has been bubbling and drooling from her mouth. She is around 6 years old and up until now has never had any problems. Her poop is very runny. Other than the not eating or drinking she is acting fine. I let her out to roam the yard and she took a dirt bath and is still very fast and hard to catch. I know the best thing to do would be to take her to the vet and I would definitely if I could but I live in a rural part of Indiana with only one vet in town who will not see chickens. I have called every vet in the surrounding towns and none of them will see chickens and they all point me to the only exotic vet in indiana which is 3 hours away from me and would probably cost thousands that I don’t have I am a college student. Any advice or information is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 7425BAD0-CC63-4B01-9FC9-A1B67A13DF61.jpeg
    7425BAD0-CC63-4B01-9FC9-A1B67A13DF61.jpeg
    465 KB · Views: 60
  • 0BA12DE5-848D-4E33-94A5-207309EB47B5.jpeg
    0BA12DE5-848D-4E33-94A5-207309EB47B5.jpeg
    446.6 KB · Views: 19
That appears to be canker, a protozoa that is spread by pigeons and wild birds from waterers or contaminated puddles. It usually smells bad, and is treated with certain medicines, such as metronidazole (aqua zole found online,) ronidazole, and others. Other diseases that may look like canker are wet fowl pox, and fungal infections. I would separate her or cull her if she gets to the point that she is suffering or cannot breathe. It cannspread down into her throat, esophagus and into the crop lining. Some use acidified copper sulfate to prevent canker spread. I would disinfect all feeders and waterers with 10% bleach water.

That appears to be canker, a protozoa that is spread by pigeons and wild birds from waterers or contaminated puddles. It usually smells bad, and is treated with certain medicines, such as metronidazole (aqua zole found online,) ronidazole, and others. Other diseases that may look like canker are wet fowl pox, and fungal infections. I would separate her or cull her if she gets to the point that she is suffering or cannot breathe. It cannspread down into her throat, esophagus and into the crop lining. Some use acidified copper sulfate to prevent canker spread. I would disinfect all feeders and waterers with 10% bleach water.
I don’t know what I’d do without you eggsessive! Thank you so much for everything you do

It seems like canker to me, too, although it can look similar to other conditions like eggcessive said. Unfortunately, treatment differs depending on the condition. Here is a comparison between canker and fowl pox (and sour crop). If it's canker, I would also suggest completely drying out feeders and waterers as the parasite is susceptible to heat and drying out.

I don't think it's cancer. Honestly, I don't know exactly what canker is (Google translate tells me it's cancer).
Try to smell the infectious throat, if it smells like yeast, then it is 100% Moniliasis.
Fungal infection is relatively easy to treat with preparations that make no sense to write the names of the medicines when they are for the Croatian market (those that I know). Try to google which medicine is used to treat Moniliasis in your area.

I don't think it's cancer. Honestly, I don't know exactly what canker is (Google translate tells me it's cancer).
Try to smell the infectious throat, if it smells like yeast, then it is 100% Moniliasis.
Fungal infection is relatively easy to treat with preparations that make no sense to write the names of the medicines when they are for the Croatian market (those that I know). Try to google which medicine is used to treat Moniliasis in your area.
Canker is trichamoniasis, a protozoa, a single-celled parasite. It is carried by pigeons and some wild birds that drink out of puddles and waterers near chickens. It smells rotten, and is completely different from candida or monilia, which is a fungus. Canker is treated by certain anti-protozoan drugs such as metronidazole, ronidazole, and others. Some also use acidified copper sulfate in the water for 3 days a month to help prevent it in flocks where it has been a problem. Here is a good article about it:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/trichomonosis/trichomonosis

Back
Top Bottom