Chicken with yellow / white poop.

MelBChickens

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 12, 2014
My two year old Orpington has yellow runny poop. She walks like she's in pain and her sides are big. She hasn't laid an egg in a long time. The last time this happened I gave her apple cider in her water. That cleared her up for a month. Her buddy and I would miss her dearly. Any advise would be welcome. Thank You. Please.

Last edited:
She may be suffering from egg yolk peritonitis, which can cause pain, waddling or difficulty walking, weight loss, swelling or fluid in the lower abdomen, cooked egg-like material in droppings, loss of appetite, and other symptoms. Antibiotics are not usually affective. E.coli is a common finding. I would recommend helping keep her comfortable until she may need to culled so she doesn't suffer. Sorry about your hen. A vet could do Xrays to help diagnosis it.

Thanks for info. I found an avion vet in my area. Will be taking her there tomorrow. If I have to put her down what about her buddy? They've been together since day one. How is she going to react? Thanks

You might check here on your state thread to see if someone has a nice hen they might like to rehome for your hen. Toward the end of summer, many people try to reduce their numbers after hatching chicks. Be sure to check the hen over closely for any signs of illness, lice, or mites.

Back
Top Bottom