Chicken won’t go in hen house at night

Pics
One other thing to consider is if there is any pecking/bullying inside the roost. I had that problem. It made some of my chicks reticent to go to bed. I had to add a roosting perch to make sure they were sufficiently spaced apart so that the younger chickens on lower perches couldn’t be pecked at by older hens on higher perches.

I had the same problem with mine after I built them a brand new coop. I ended up putting tasty treats in the coop just as it was getting dark. Took about a week but eventually all of them would head straight in by themselves to get the tasty treats. Then I’d block off the exits until they were happily roosting. After dark I’d unblock the exits. Took about another week for them to stay inside without me blocking the exits. They were probably not impressed that there were no more tasty treats to be found but the job was done and they put themselves to bed every night after that.

Your answer is simple, chickens think with their stomachs. To get them to go anywhere willingly, call them with treats.

I put my flock away in the safety of the chicken house just after sundown, when it's still just dusk, I call them in with dinner.

In the am I feed them outside in their field.
At dusk, I feed them inside their house. They all come running inside to eat dinner, and I close the door, then they can eat and socialize till they decide to roost on their own, inside. Feeding them inside gives me a chance to pick them up and do a heath check on each bird.
do make sure they have ample ventilation, that it's not too hot inside, and that they have good clean water inside and out at all times. Being hot inside is the only other reason I can see that they don't want to go in, perhaps a thermometer to make sure. But if it's comfortable for you to go in, it should be comfortable for them.
They probably just need a treat incentive. 🐛🐛🐛🐛

I think your coop is perfect just as it is. Sometimes I have a few new chicks that have to be "taught" to go in at night. I go out just at dusk when they would be thinking of going in and help them find the door. DON"T pick them up and carry, they just wake up in a new place and don't learn anything. You have to herd, or shoo them into the coop and shut the door for the night. A few nights of making them responsible for themselves and they will get the message. Also, I only feed/water inside the coop, year round so they know that is where they belong. When they are out to free range I prop the door open and now all I have to do is go take a quick count to be sure all are in and shut the door. Works for me, hope it helps you too!
Thank you very much I spent 500 dollars and built the hen house and run my self I took my time and tried to do it right. So thank you for stating that it’s probably not due to my coop design. I will try herding to teach. Thank you and everyone else for y’all’s advice.

Are there any windows? Maybe they are afraid to enter a dark area. When I first started letting my 6 chicks out into the run at about 7 weeks, I only had one food container so I brought it into the coop as it started to get dark. The chicks came in for the food, I guess. I only took two days of me herding them up the ramp. Now, they just go inside and fly/jump up to roost when it starts getting dark, but my coop has lots of windows, so it isn't really any darker than outside. I'm lucky to have a very cooperative flock.
I added a window on the side

I see a few things I'll just mention, but experimentation is always the solution.
That is a mighty nice big perch you gave them out in the run, I can see why they want to stay outside. Also, I found my chickens don't like hay, but prefer pine chips. I also ONLY use the chips in their nesting boxes. The inside of the coop has a tray that I line with paper only. There are two nice perching rods inside my coop next to the nesting boxes. depends on how they are feeling if they sleep on the roost or in a box.
I don't have much venting in my coop. if they are broody and in there all day when it's hot, I will prop the lid open to get circulation, otherwise just the door from the ramp gives them air.
I think they much prefer the nice green grass you have. Grass wouldn't last very long with my birds, they would mow it down to dirt in a week. I use a mixture of sand/dirt and bark in the base and turn it over now and then with fresh sand. a bit of water to help it decompose is also good now and then.
I can't see all the wood you used, but is any of it treated? I see what looks like OSB as well as plywood. OSB is full of lots of glue and chemicals that really stink. Exterior Plywood is what should be used, then primed/painted to make it last more than a year. The only exception to treated is the piece of wood that contacts the dirt around the edge. If that's not treated, it will rot very quickly in most environments. My store bought coop was not designed to last more than a year, so I built a treated frame around the bottom and added extended wheels, so I can pick it up and move it like a wheelbarrow! that's been sooooo handy, believe me. good luck!
Thank you for your insight. The only osb is the door to my run and that’s temporary until I make a real door the rest of the wood in the hen house is real ply wood lol 30 dollars a sheet. The grass is sod that I replace every two weeks for 25 dollars, my neighbor picks up The trampled sheets one day and puts straw down until he comes and lays new sod 1 or 2 days later. That works out super great And they almost always has fresh grass not treated with any chemicals. The also free range every day that’s why it lasts two weeks lol. Thanks your right they like the perch in the middle but they have three in the house. My wife says they’re just spoiled and want to see me every night to be tucked in. Lol. They are sweet and I love them. Hopefully they get the idea soon.

Yes they must have some sort of light; I read they don't see at all in the dark so if they were to fall they couldn't direct themselves safely.
Other thought is could there be a rat/rats in there at night? They are really sneaky and adept at getting in and many a flock has not wanted to go in the coop because they anticipate the rats at night; even read that they sometimes nibble on the chickens feet.
Do not put food in the coop for the night as it greatly attracts the rats. If you feed them, they will come. They can get in a quarter sized hole! You must have quarter inch wire mesh to keep them out. If a dirt floor they will burrow in. Great chewers too in re: to wooden house.. Can you put a camera in the coop to see why they don't want to be in there at night?
Yes I will add pics tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom