Chicken won’t stay awake..

Sheila82802

Hatching
Oct 1, 2020
I have a 17 week old polish chicken. Up until a few days ago she seemed very healthy and shows no signs of issues. I went into the coop to let them out and I noticed her sleeping face down. Later on I noticed her again in the run sleeping in the corner. When I went to put the chickens away I noticed her getting stepped on. So I took her out and brought her inside. Gave her a bath and checked her over. Seen no signs of bugs. She just sleeps all day and night. I will wake her just enough to try and eat and she falls asleep eating. I don’t know what it going on. She is gasping for air along with being puffed up at times. I can’t keep her moving or get her to eat and drink with out me forcing her. I read about Gapeworms and have been treating her the last two days with fanbendazole and no improvements. I started corrid with no improvements. I am not sure what else to do :(. Thanks

Attachments

• 77CEBD52-9DE5-45D1-ADCB-9E5A7DCDC132.jpeg
    77CEBD52-9DE5-45D1-ADCB-9E5A7DCDC132.jpeg
    396.1 KB · Views: 20
Can you get her drinking water? How long have you used the Corid and what dosage? Could she have been kept from food and water by the other chickens? What are her droppings looking like? Can she see okay with her feathers around her face? Is she low in pecking order? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? It is always a little hard to figure out what is happening.

So I took her out and brought her inside. Gave her a bath and checked her over. Seen no signs of bugs. She just sleeps all day and night. I will wake her just enough to try and eat and she falls asleep eating. I don’t know what it going on. She is gasping for air along with being puffed up at times.
I read about Gapeworms and have been treating her the last two days with fanbendazole and no improvements. I started corrid with no improvements.
I'm sorry she's not well.
Good questions by @Eggcessive

You mention you gave her a bath - was she dirty/had a bad odor?
Is she able to see?
Any signs of mucous or lesions inside the beak, swollen eyes, etc.?
Can you get some photos of her poop?

Back
Top Bottom