Chicken won't eat or come out of the coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by terimay, Oct 22, 2012.

1. terimay

terimay Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    My chicken wouldn't come out of the coop today so I just let her hang out there for a while, but I started to get worried so I tried to entice her out with her favorite treats. After hours of checking her out and searching the web, I am coming up unsure. At first I thought it was an impacted crop as it is sticking out but she hasn't eaten anything today. When I feel it, it just feels like a bone but its not squishy like they say on the forums, I squeezed around the sides and it doesn't feel like anything is there. I haven't seen her eat or drink anything all day and she just sits there. Any ideas? Also, I don't think she has pooped either cause it doesn't seem like any of the poop under her is all that fresh and she hasn't moved all day so you'd think there would be a mess under her.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you bring her inside and put her in a warm place with access to food and water?

3. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Does she get kind of moody when you come close, like a growl or something? :)

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That didn't even cross my mind, lol. You mean acting broody, right?

5. terimay

Jun 23, 2011
    She's not moody, but she did just poop (it's white and a little runny but no blood in it), so I am hoping that is a good sign...she isn't hanging out in the nest box, she is on her perch, so I don't think she is broody, also, I am in Texas so it's not cold outside so I don't think I need to bring her in. Hoping for a miracle.

6. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So it's just white? Nothing solid in it?

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's usually one of three things or a combination: Lice/mites, eggbound, or worms.

9. terimay

Jun 23, 2011
    No, there was nothing solid in it, she is still just sitting around and mostly keeping her eyes closed now.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by