chicken won't eat worms

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmnut, Sep 26, 2008.

1. farmnut

farmnut Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    Hi everyone. This is a strange question but does chickens eat earthworms? I have been putting earth worms in the run and the chicken just looks at it then walks off. every picture i've seen shows chicken pulling worms out of the ground. So whats wrong with my chickens?

2. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

Worms are an aquired taste. I remember the not liking the first one I ever had, but now...

My chickens will go after anything that moves. I haven't seen them go after a worm yet.

3. Ricks Chicks

Ricks Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine don't eat them either. I throw them in, they run over, look and walk away. I thought this was unique to just mine but I guess not. I have RIR's what do you have?

4. Jlessl

Jlessl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2008
    Gainesville, Florida
    The first few times I threw worms into the coop, they ate them up, now, they won't even go near them. Now beetles, look out, they love the crunchy bugs!

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Mine didn't go after them at first but NOW WOW they fight over them

6. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    When my hens can work it into their busy day, they check out any gardening or yard project I'm doing to see if I might uncover any fun worms. Our "reds" are the first on the scene, and cluck at me as if to say, "Come on, hurry up!" [​IMG]

7. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    With our older ones, you best toss the worm and run, otherwise you end up with chickens all over you looking for more worms. Mine also are addicted to crickets.......

8. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    No, you're not alone! Mine are terrified of earthworms. They run away flapping and screaming. Now, the huge locusts? They will knock each other down getting to them. Maybe it's a textural issue. I've tried smaller worms and they just don't like the sliminess, and I can't blame them! LOL! Now they love the mealworms, but those aren't slimy. Our petshop also has the calci-worms, which are grub-like worms that have had a calcium boost, and they like those, but they will not touch the big white garden grubs. But, I guess those are a little too "juicy" for them, too.

Chickens are picky! And since I only have 2, if one won't eat it, the other one won't, either. They are silly girls! LOL!

Try the drier jumping bugs like grasshoppers, or even moths and beetles. Those are my girls' favorites!

Shelly

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have 3 white leghorns. The male (Kernal) wont even look at them when I first showed them. But one of my pullets named Krispy just love them!!!! The once Sandy my other pullet seen her eating them she loves em aswell now. But still Kernal wont even look and them just walks away> The also love beemoths [​IMG]

10. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Mine LOVED worms until they were about 12 weeks old then [​IMG] now they're about 25 weeks old and worms are back on the menu [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by