chicken won't eat worms

farmnut

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Hi everyone. This is a strange question but does chickens eat earthworms? I have been putting earth worms in the run and the chicken just looks at it then walks off. every picture i've seen shows chicken pulling worms out of the ground. So whats wrong with my chickens?

When my hens can work it into their busy day, they check out any gardening or yard project I'm doing to see if I might uncover any fun worms. Our "reds" are the first on the scene, and cluck at me as if to say, "Come on, hurry up!"
big_smile.png

With our older ones, you best toss the worm and run, otherwise you end up with chickens all over you looking for more worms. Mine also are addicted to crickets.......

No, you're not alone! Mine are terrified of earthworms. They run away flapping and screaming. Now, the huge locusts? They will knock each other down getting to them. Maybe it's a textural issue. I've tried smaller worms and they just don't like the sliminess, and I can't blame them! LOL! Now they love the mealworms, but those aren't slimy. Our petshop also has the calci-worms, which are grub-like worms that have had a calcium boost, and they like those, but they will not touch the big white garden grubs. But, I guess those are a little too "juicy" for them, too.

Chickens are picky! And since I only have 2, if one won't eat it, the other one won't, either. They are silly girls! LOL!

Try the drier jumping bugs like grasshoppers, or even moths and beetles. Those are my girls' favorites!

Shelly

I have 3 white leghorns. The male (Kernal) wont even look at them when I first showed them. But one of my pullets named Krispy just love them!!!! The once Sandy my other pullet seen her eating them she loves em aswell now. But still Kernal wont even look and them just walks away> The also love beemoths
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom