chicken won't lay eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken and duck man, Aug 27, 2010.

1. chicken and duck man

chicken and duck man New Egg

Aug 27, 2010
    help. My silikie chicken won't lay any eggs. she lays an egg every two weeks and when she does the shell of the egg breaks. she is about a year old and she is penned up with a silikie rooster because she fights with the other chickens.

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    What is she being fed? It sounds like her diet lacks adequate calcium. Oyster shell in a seperate container should take care of that.

3. chicken and duck man

chicken and duck man New Egg

Aug 27, 2010
    i feed her the regular corn feed you would buy at a store.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    That sounds like scratch and is too low in protien (and other things) to be a good diet for chickens. They love the stuff, but it's like letting a little kid eat nothing but cake and candy. Put her on layer feed or grower and also put some oyster shell (it's cheap) out free choice so she can build her calcium stores back up. She's in real danger of an infection (it can kill them) if one of those soft shell eggs breaks inside of her. She's also way more likely to have a prolapse since it's harder on them to pass a soft shelled egg then a regular one.

ETA: [​IMG] This is a great site, take some time to look around (the search function is great!!) Lots of nice knowledgable people here too for fast help or to give a hand when you just can't figure something out.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  5. tarheelmama7914

tarheelmama7914 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    hmmm wonder if that is why ours that still lays one a day keeps being broken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by