Chicken won't stop cheeping!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Poliwag, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    I bought 6 silkie chickens the other day and one of them just won't stop cheeping! The only time it stops is when it's asleep at night. And it's not a normal cheep, it cheeps as loud as possible. I have it in a box alone at the moment but it just won't stop cheeping x.x

Omg, it finally stopped... oh no, it has started up again!

It's driving me crazy!

Screenshot below, incase it will help:
    [​IMG]

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    If he's normally alone, that might be your problem.

3. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

They cheep really loud when alone. He needs a friend for company. I can always tell if one has gotten out because they are so loud.

4. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Our first chickie cheeped it's fool head off for FOUR days until our second egg hatched. Then it settled right in and now it just cheeps when the whole lot of them - we now have 12 - get worked up.

It could be lonely. Also, check your temp. It could be cold.

5. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would add another chick or put a stuffed animal in there with it.

6. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    I just put a teddy bear in there with it but it doesn't seem to work. As I said, I bought 6 silkie chickens. I put this one alone because it was probably annoying the others. Alone or not, it just won't stop cheeping. I just don't know what to do [​IMG]

Edit: It's summer here and I am boiling so I doubt it's cold...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  7. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I found a lonely chick is louder than when with others. I would put him back with the others.. It will stop hopefully soon.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Make sure he is REALLY eating and drinking. Sometimes the chick feed is too big for them and they get really hungry. Make a wet mash and see if he eats it. Oh, put him back with the others, they don't care if he's annoying. Please make sure he's eating!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  9. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I have a grown Silkie (I bought her grown-up) and she has been noisy ever since I have her--never, never stops with the "complaints"! And she is not alone, she has 14 other girls for company.

So it may be a "Silkie thing"! I have no idea what the reason is or if there is any way to stop it but I love her anyway! Good luck! Genie

10. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    He is either cold, hungry or needs to be with the other chicks for company. Try some crumbled up boiled egg whites for all of them together and see if he gets to know the other chicks that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by