Chicken won't use the perch.

OK here are the pics of the chickens on the perch and the one that wants to sleep on the shelf over the windows. She started out in the corner but now she goes to about the middle between the windows.

You can use chicken wire or bird netting, stretched taut, to block off that area to keep her out of there. I imagine it's tough cleaning off the poop from above the window.

Another thought. Chickens roost where they feel safe. She obviously feels it's important to be higher than your current highest roost. Maybe if you put a short roost from that ledge she will us it??? I had a hen that would roost on a 1 foot section of 2x4 OUTSIDE the safety of the coop and run. She felt safe there. I had to cut it off to get her to go into the coop!

roosts in coop.jpg

Another thought. Chickens roost where they feel safe. She obviously feels it's important to be higher than your current highest roost. Maybe if you put a short roost from that ledge she will us it??? I had a hen that would roost on a 1 foot section of 2x4 OUTSIDE the safety of the coop and run. She felt safe there. I had to cut it off to get her to go into the coop!

View attachment 2738497
Oh wow! They are really up there!!! Cant get me they’re thinkin’! My girls keep looking up up up while on their roost. They really wanna go higher I think. Their back window is level with the roost and it may bug them out. 2 nights ago something was hanging from their coop window in the back! Never a dull moment! 🐓❤️

Their back window is level with the roost and it may bug them out. 2 nights ago something was hanging from their coop window in the back!
Yes it does bug them out. They don't feel safe roosting near a window.
The coop I built had windows at the ends of roosts. No one wanted a window seat.
When I remodeled the coop I moved the roosts away from all windows. GC

Back
Top Bottom