Chicken won't use wings or flap. Help!

ElectricLeaf

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2019
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Black sex link. Age barely over a year, not sure of weight, but pretty much the same as the other same age chickens
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Her name is Natasha. Natasha won't use her wings or flap or anything. Jumping down from places and whatnot she'll usually try to land on her feet sometimes rolling over. Her left wing kind of droops a tiny bit, the end feathers are slightly extended whereas they are not on her right wing. And normally she'll flap a ton when you pick her up. She just will not flap anymore. She also will generally walk around a tiny bit and just find a place to stand or sit. She doesn't run much anymore, and she doesn't like to move much. When I picked her up, she made no movements or noises that would indicate I was hurting her by touching something like a broken bone or anything.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Today is when I noticed it. It would've been less than a week she'd have had it, she was flapping fine the other day.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Nothing visible or feelable as far as I can tell.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing that I'm certain of. We have some dumb neighbors whose kids will throw stuff at the chickens, but we kinda yelled at them one time and they've stopped.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Feed, their regular water, and whatever they find in our backyard.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Probably just by myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 7.29.28 PM.png
The drooping wing
IMG_2182.jpg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
A coop I built a couple years ago. Just wooden, bedding is good sand.

it is very possible she hurt it. with my experience, it may be sprained and heal up on their own.
Yes, thank you. My plan was to leave it for a week before starting to worry. I checked on her again today, she's a bit more active and she will start flapping her right wing some, but still not really her left wing. But she seems t be doing somewhat better

Back
Top Bottom