Chicken won't walk

Lillyk24

Chirping
Mar 2, 2016
Hello everyone, I am scared for my chicken. A few days ago my daughters found her leg was caught up in string, I freed her, but I think it did more damage than I though. She is such a sweet chicken and I dont want to see her in pain. She was trying to walk, but her wings layed low and she didnt want to go far. Today she just lays on one side and when you hold her foot she does nothing. Not sure if she broke her leg or something? Please help not sure what to do, I dont want to loose her. She closes her eyes often too.

Any help is much appreciated. I will do anything for her

THanks

Hello everyone, I am scared for my chicken.  A few days ago my daughters found her leg was caught up in string, I freed her, but I think it did more damage than I though.  She is such a sweet chicken and I dont want to see her in pain.  She was trying to walk, but her wings layed low and she didnt want to go far.  Today she just lays on one side and when you hold her foot she does nothing.  Not sure if she broke her leg or something?  Please help not sure what to do, I dont want to loose her.  She closes her eyes often too.

Any help is much appreciated.  I will do anything for her

THanks

How does the foot look? Right colour?Swollen at all? is it the same temp. below and above the line where the string was? If you massage the leg gently it may help restore the circulation but it could be that the damage is already done

Unfortunately accidents with string or things lying around the coop can cause injuries. If her circulation was cut off for long, it could have caused nerve damage or tissue damage. Is the coloring in her leg normal? You may want to Google "chicken slings and chairs" for some ideas on a homemade one to get her upright. She might have just sprained the leg, and need a week or two of resting the leg. Give her some chick vitamins in her water or B Complex crushed onto some food. Let us know know how she gets along.

Thank you so much for the reply! I am freaking out trying to google her symptoms, but its hard to pinpoint what to write. I will search chicken sling and see what I can do. I feel so bad or her, she just lays there and closes her eyes and flops over a bit. The color in her leg seems normal, but I will double check in the morning. The string wasn't on very long, I didnt see it until the later afternoon check, but might have been on longer since I thought she was laying. She does not grab on to anything when I put my fingers under her foot. She doesn't eat a lot either which worries me. She will peck at things, but not much. Drinks good though. Thank you so much for responding. I will google sling and chair right now.

THanks

I have the same situation here I don't believe it will be a broken leg it's possibly a disease called marek we just need to find the cure or what type of medication to administrate I have lost 5 chicken already

Thank you so much for the reply!  I am freaking out trying to google her symptoms, but its hard to pinpoint what to write.  I will search chicken sling and see what I can do.  I feel so bad or her, she just lays there and closes her eyes and flops over a bit.  The color in her leg seems normal, but I will double check in the morning.  The string wasn't on very long, I didnt see it until the later afternoon check, but might have been on longer since I thought she was laying.  She does not grab on to anything when I put my fingers under her foot.  She doesn't eat a lot either which worries me.  She will peck at things, but not much.  Drinks good though.  Thank you so much for responding.  I will google sling and chair right now.

THanks
How is your little bird doing Lilly?

Oh no sorry uzifam poultry to hear you lost 5 already. This is so frustrating. I feel so bad for her, she was our sweetest one and we just got her a few months back. Our last flock was eaten by a predator we since updated our coop and there is no way for animals to get in. I did read this last night about this disease, but not sure if there is a cure. I am also not sure if it can spread to other chickens? She is in there with them right now. I don't have another safe place to put her. Any advice please let me know what you find. Sorry agian

Unfortunately she is doing the same. I researched slings yesterday but not sure that would help her. I just dont want her to be in pain, I can't stand that. I love my animals so much like they were my family. Sounds stupid my family tells me that all the time, but these are our babies. We have 2 mini goats too that we love and two rescue dogs. Anyways, I hope she recovers, but not sure she will I am afraid for my other chickens.

Thanks for asking

Unfortunately she is doing the same.  I researched slings  yesterday but not sure that would help her.  I just dont want her to be in pain, I can't stand that.  I love my animals so much like they were my family.  Sounds stupid my family tells me that all the time, but these are our babies.  We have 2 mini goats too that we love and two rescue dogs.  Anyways, I hope she recovers, but not sure she will  I am afraid for my other chickens.

Thanks for asking
Nah it's not stupid. If you do think it may be mareks though you might be in for a long haul with the rest of your flock. I hope it's just the string :(

After the research and such i think it might be. But the sting concerns me, she was fine before then. I didnt see anything on the disease that says that their eggs if they produce any yet are not good anymore? I dont think she is laying any but not sure? And if it is this disease it will spread is what I got...not good...not ready for this.

Back
Top Bottom