Chicken wounded

I would wait for a couple of days before starting the BluKote. The puncture wounds need to stay open for another day, and the Neosporin works better. When they close up and are healing the BluKote would be fine, but watch out --it is messy! When putting her back into the flock, she may be better in a cage among the flock for a day or two, then make sure they don't pick on her.

Last edited:
When I put her back out I'll have her by herself in the chicken tractor so she can be with the other chickens but still be protected.:)

She has only been standing for very short periods of time. She poops sitting down as well and doesn't move away from it. So

1) How long is it likely to take before she recovers?

2) Can I give her a bit of a bath, since her bum is messy? And if so how should I do that?

I would guess that it will take her a full week or more to feel better.

To give her a bath, just pick her up gently and put her gently in a warm pan or sink of water. Gently massage the water into all of the yucky spots and then you should be able to pick them off with your fingers.

You can use some gentle soap if you want.

Thanks, Alaskan! I am about to go give her a little bath, then. She laid an egg yesterday! (It didn't have a shell, but she laid it!)

Well she is poopy-bum free. I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing, though. She has a ton of what I am assuming is bruising around her leg. (It is green) I am sure there is something going on there. She can't seem to put weight on it (though she tries). I don't know if its broken, it doesn't really look broken but I'm not sure.

Her bite wounds look great. Starting to heal up really nicely.

Well she is poopy-bum free. I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing, though. She has a ton of what I am assuming is bruising around her leg. (It is green) I am sure there is something going on there. She can't seem to put weight on it (though she tries). I don't know if its broken, it doesn't really look broken but I'm not sure.

Her bite wounds look great. Starting to heal up really nicely.
Were you able to feel her leg for any abnormality? If it is broken you might be able to splint it (I haven't had to do it, but I'm sure someone one here has some experience with it...) If she's in pain you could give her some aspirin...and continue to keep her calm & warm

Back
Top Bottom