chicken x turkey question?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by scooby, May 18, 2010.

1. scooby

scooby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    I have a friend that got a flock off some internet add from a lady that supposably started out with 4-5 chickens that tuned into 35. they are all pretty mixed. but anyways i was talking to her step mother that is taking half the flock off their hands and she made a comment about turkens being a chicken /turkey cross and i corrected her about this. a few days later i was talking to the daughter and she said she had turkey/chicken crosses, so i told her turkens are chickens and she said that the lady told her that some of them where turkey/chicken crosses and she said she had a roo that would sorta start crowing then turn to a gobble, but her husband had culled him already. so my question is do chickens cross with turkeys, to make a chicken-turkey, or is this very unlikely or impossible?

2. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    No, they don't, it's genetically impossible for a turkey and chicken to make chicks.

But it may be possible for a Roo to mimic a gobble of a turkey, Unlikely since a Roo does not have the same anatomy as a turkey.

3. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    there are articles about this cross VIA web. It does not happen often but it does happen, according to acticles.

4. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    i saw on feathersite a poult/chick.

5. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Lions and tigers have mated in captivity. I'd imagine turkeys and chickens might give it a try also....... if they got "lonely" enough.

6. scooby

scooby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    I saw that poult/chick cross to. it wasn't to convincing to me. I'm not saying genetically that it cant happen, in a lab. I'm wondering if theres ever been any known cases of turkeys mating with chickens resulting in a natural hatched poult/chick cross. the lady that sold them to her told her they all ran together and interbreed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by