Chicken Yard Improvement Ideas

jthornton

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 30, 2017
Poplar Bluff, MO
My Coop
My Coop
I've got this spot under my deck inside the chicken yard. I'm thinking of removing all the rocks ( I used to toss them there when they rolled down from above) and putting some landscaping blocks to create some terraces. This is on my north wall so very shady most of the day. Any ideas what I can do there?

chicken-yard-03.jpg

JT

Not sure what your goal is? Are you looking for something with architectural interest, something pretty, or something to benefit the chickens? You don't have enough rocks for what I'm thinking but if it is anything like around here that is not much of a limitation, you may be able to get other rocks. How about using the rocks to build a bin that water could drain out of and use it for compost. Everybody can use more compost and the chickens will love scratching in it.

@PirateGirl The deck is not waterproof, a roost would be an easy thing to do.

@Ridgerunner I'm not following what your trying to tell me. And yea like you we have lots of rocks. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for but benefiting the chickens is high up on the list. Also giving them other things to do.

@aart A shot from the North East corner.
chicken-yard-04.jpg

JT

@aart A shot from the North East corner.
Ah there we go, thanks!
Well, you slap some fence up on the deck posts and attached to current run, put a pop door in run wall, and use it as an auxiliary run area. Might want to get those rocks (concrete?) out of there.

Add some 'enrichment's':
2x2's and branches for roosts in run. Logs, stumps, pallets leaned against wall or up on concrete blocks, grazing frames, old table/chairs/benches.

Is this temporary....aren't you moving the chooks to the 'new coop made from shed'??

Is this temporary....aren't you moving the chooks to the 'new coop made from shed'??

I'm still pondering that idea, The shed is behind me about 10' in that photo and after all that hard work making the run I'm thinking of adding 2 more 4x4 behind and either side of the red coop and extend that same roof line to the edge of the deck. Then enclose that for a coop...

Can't really come up with a good idea how to connect the shed to the yard and then I like having the secure run connected to the coop until sunrise and I let them out in the yard... but then if the nest box and food is inside the coop...

JT

I love that photo you posted, PG!!

What is your climate, @jthornton ? I think I would put some 2 x 6 or wider across the support posts of the deck, essentially boxing it in. (You could do the same by laying hay bales across the area, end to end to box that area in) Then, I'd turn it into a deep litter. Of course, the ideal would be to DL the whole run. I do like the idea of putting a perch across between those support posts. Or you could turn the area into a grow out coop/run for chicks?

It could become the broody barn! or the hospital bay. Or you can make a water feature there and add some ducks! and a turkey! and a goose!

In all seriousness though, I like the idea of a compost area/play area with different perches and deep little/compost below. With perches above they will naturally add to the compost while they hang out up there. Along the same lines you could start a verminculture project.

Back
Top Bottom