chickens adopted us, we finally built a coop, won't get in it

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by signep, Dec 5, 2010.

1. signep

signep New Egg

Dec 3, 2010
    :(hi i am new to this we were adopted by some neighborhood chickens and they are staying we built a nice coop how do we convince them to get into it hawks are circling daily

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Chickens are notorious fraidy cats about something new. Try tossing something yummy in several days in a row. Once they get used to going inside it will be easier to coax them in. The other options is to catch them and lock them inside for a couple of days. Once they learn that the coop is home they should go back to it every night with no coaxing. It's just getting them in there.
    The first night I transitioned mine into a new, larger coop you would have thought I was ripping their wings off. They were pitiful!! It took a couple of nights before they decided death wasn't imminent. Silly chickens.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. Good advice given. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

6. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    That is exactly how I got started back with chickens.. A rooster and three hens adopted us.. Just would not go away. So, once I realized they were laying eggs in my tractor shed, I put a fence around the shed and fixed them some nest boxes and a roost. Now I have about 80 chickens.. So be careful. They are addictive! And [​IMG]
    Oh and I agree with CityGirl, that's is the best way to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by