Chickens aggresive??

16 x 8' for 14 birds sounds like good space to me.
5 hens and 1 cock/erel in 8x8,
5 six month olds and 3 one month olds(in a cage?) in 8x8.
I think I got that right.

Could be integration issues.
Knowing about run space and when birds were added together could be telling.
yes that is right!!I haven't integrated any chickens except one she is doing fine,all my chicks have been born in my coop :D,they just seem extremely aggressive especially the hens

This the coop :p
20190913_191518.jpg

I usually see folks cite 4 sq ft per bird in the shelter (coop) and another 10 sq ft per bird in the run. For 14 birds you need 56 sq ft of interior space (technically). You need 140 sq ft in the run. That’s for adult birds, but hopefully they’ll all become adult birds in due time. From the 8x16’ measurement you gave, that should be 32 birds, which is obviously more birds than you have. So... sufficient space doesn’t look like being the problem.

I don’t see any grass. It looks like it might be hard to grow grass there... have chickens been living there for a long time? Maybe in place of grass, you could perhaps get ahold of a round bale or two of spoiled hay? Unroll your bales over the whole dead area, including inside the coop and run. The hay will absorb the nitrogen from the chickens’ waste and contribute organic carbon to the ground. This will begin to heal the soil so it can grow grasses and herbs again, or at the least, it will become compost that your birds can pick through (they’ll have so much fun!) and find all sorts of yummy treasures. Happy chickens are well-behaved chickens—well, usually. I really think a couple bales of old hay may solve all your bird behavior problems. Mine absolutely love it.

I usually see folks cite 4 sq ft per bird in the shelter (coop) and another 10 sq ft per bird in the run. For 14 birds you need 56 sq ft of interior space (technically). You need 140 sq ft in the run. That’s for adult birds, but hopefully they’ll all become adult birds in due time. From the 8x16’ measurement you gave, that should be 32 birds, which is obviously more birds than you have. So... sufficient space doesn’t look like being the problem.

I don’t see any grass. It looks like it might be hard to grow grass there... have chickens been living there for a long time? Maybe in place of grass, you could perhaps get ahold of a round bale or two of spoiled hay? Unroll your bales over the whole dead area, including inside the coop and run. The hay will absorb the nitrogen from the chickens’ waste and contribute organic carbon to the ground. This will begin to heal the soil so it can grow grasses and herbs again, or at the least, it will become compost that your birds can pick through (they’ll have so much fun!) and find all sorts of yummy treasures. Happy chickens are well-behaved chickens—well, usually. I really think a couple bales of old hay may solve all your bird behavior problems. Mine absolutely love it.
no grass grows there since the coop is under some trees.
Could you please tell me the measurements of just the shed part, not including the screened-in part?
8 ft×8ft

Back
Top Bottom