Chickens and ashes

Yard full o' rocks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Cartersville, Georgia
Well....my flock found my "ash pile", a place in the woods where I dump our ashes from the fireplace and from the charcoal grill. Just noticed ALL of them dusting in it and just having a big time.

Are ashes safe for them to dust in or do I need to shovel it all up and haul it off??

Thanks in advance

Well, I can only speak from experience - I was given a rooster once who had mites. Gave him some ashes to bathe in and the mites went away. I use regular fireplace ashes, not sure about ashes from the charcol grill - if they had residue from lighter fluid I suppose that could be a problem.

The only problem is water.
Water+ashes=lye. Lye can cause burns.
I would say just keep an eye on them when tha ashes get wet.

We put the ashes from our pellet stove in the run for three years now and no trouble!
smile.png

I know wood ashes are often recommended for a good dust bath ..... some of each of these: wood ashes, DE, sand, dirt.

I have often wondered about the charcoal ashes also. I am glad you asked!

Huh? How does water turn ashes into lye? I have never heard that before.

We used to put the ashes from the wood stove in the chicken yard for their dust baths. It keeps down parasites.

Rufus

In new coop design (being built) The building (6x8) is raised 2' off the ground. I'm planning on digging out a couple areas, into a bowl shape to facilitate dust baths. One will be sand/DE, the other fire place ash...happy birds, sad mites
And...why will I not be suprised if they create there own?

Back
Top Bottom