1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chickens and Bees

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by keystonepaul, Oct 6, 2008.

1. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    This might be the place for this question. Can I put a couple of bee hives in my 30 by 24 fenced in run with 23 chickens or am I asking for trouble?? reason being then I'd only have to electrify one fence instead of two seperate areas. Wouldn't care if some bees did get eatin and I could set the top of the hives up so the chickens couldn't use it to perch on. Just wondering if it's been done with success or are there too many problems. thanks, Keystonepaul

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I can't help there, but I know my chickens have been eating the mud wasps that come out of the ground in our yard. I'm unsure if anyone has been stung as they are HUGE wasps. I have witness them getting caught out of midair. You'd have to ask if you want to risk that.

3. sweetcorn

sweetcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My chickens love to eat bees. I think you'd have chickens lined up at the hive, like monkeys at a feeder bar for treats.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My girls love eating bees so you maybe just putting up the "Come to dinner" sign.

5. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I have the exact opposite experience. My hives are within 20' of the door of the coop, and the girls free range in front of it all the time - and they don't pay the bees the slightest attention. There are many of my fellow beeks over on Beemaster.com who have had the same experience. Chickens and bees are a great combination in the yard.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I am just grateful to read that there are still bees out there.

We only have the Africanized ones and they haven't done the best job at pollinating our fruit trees or garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by