chickens and box turtles

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deborah the silkie, Apr 21, 2009.

1. deborah the silkie

deborah the silkie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Phoenix
    Ok everyone, so I know chickens have predatory instincts towards smaller animals such as rodents, insects and small reptiles. In anyones experience have chickens caused any harm to reptiles like box turtles? I have three free range roos and an easy to hop into box turtle pen. So my question is will the roos do any harm to the turtles? If so should I find some method to cover the turtles? or just pen up the roos? The turtles have not woken up from hibernation yet.

2. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

ok lol, i thought i was the only one who had this combo..........with my boxes & chickens & roo, i didnt have any problems, the reason i have the box turtles is, all my friends who go anywhere, if they see a turtle crossing the road, they save it & bring it to me, i have a yard full of them.

3. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Add me to the list of people having box turtles and chickens. I've been curious about putting the turtle in with the chickens, but haven't worked up to it yet! I might just build a Turtle Tractor for my lone guy.... had two, but a neighbor stole one.

4. Umbral_Necropolitan

Umbral_Necropolitan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Bakersfield, California
    Box turtles should be able to pull in their shells if they are bothered, but I wouldn't risk the two interacting. One lucky peck or bite could mean the loss of a pet.

I have eight turtles right now, all live indoors since people steal them if left outdoors. I know my turtles don't have much of an interest in my chick, but if they saw Mist (my chick) hop or move fast they would be interested in doing a taste test... Pretty much what happened when I introduced a toad to them, they were fine with it until it hopped, then it was food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by