Chickens and cat food? Treats for molting?

Their favorite is Salmon, then tuna. Some liked the mackerel some didn't. They loved it when my neighbor brought over some leftover fish from his fishing trip.

I didn't realize they had canned salmon, maybe I'm oblivious
1f602.png
so should I give them canned or fresh? I bet they did love that! I've heard they clean carcasses?

As long as the diet is good, molt duration is more about genetics;  oversupplying nutrients won't improve a bird who just does it slowly.  This year one of my EE hens took two months (!!!) to complete her molt, which started early.  Her hatchmate started six weeks later, and took barely one month.  Same diet, etc, but there it is.  My SS started very late, took maybe one month, and look good again.  Mary

That makes a lot more sense, thanks :)

Yes I do a quick boil or microwave any fresh fish I give them, because here in San Diego I'm not trustworthy of our local fresh fish as far as germs. I go to a small restaurant supply store call 'Smart and Final' and they have a cheap canned Salmon with softened bones. My dog splits it with the chickens. They love it, skin and all.

Yes I do a quick boil or microwave any fresh fish I give them, because here in San Diego I'm not trustworthy of our local fresh fish as far as germs. I go to a small restaurant supply store call 'Smart and Final' and they have a cheap canned Salmon with softened bones. My dog splits it with the chickens. They love it, skin and all.

Sounds awesome, thanks! We're by the water so i think the fish is pretty safe here but idk but yeab, found some canned stuff

My flock is extremely spoiled. They get all flock grower free choice at all times. They get 2 cups of dry cat food a day, between 80-90 chickens. They get any and all kitchen scraps that do not contain chicken in any way. They get all the horse poo and bugs they can handle as well. To date their favorite snack is fish of any sort. Canned, fresh, cooked or raw. They do bananas over fish.

My flock is extremely spoiled. They get all flock grower free choice at all times. They get 2 cups of dry cat food a day, between 80-90 chickens. They get any and all kitchen scraps that do not contain chicken in any way. They get all the horse poo and bugs they can handle as well. To date their favorite snack is fish of any sort. Canned, fresh, cooked or raw. They do bananas over fish.

Sounds they're very happy :)

Finally gave the chickens some of the fish, gave them a can of tuna and the can of sardines. They went BANANAS. And the poor dog was jealous LOL

Just bought a few more things of canned fish, though we have plenty left, and gave the dog a thing of sardines since he was jealous before. He loved it too. Haven't tried it on the cat yet but I don't want to give her a whole can. Sure she will love it too though. So good to know the whole gang loves canned fish apparently
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

I still consider myself a "newbie" but I thought I would briefly tell you what I seem to be successful in doing. I only have a few chickens for eggs and pet reasons. They are about 5 years old now, and have gone through 3-4 molting periods and do quite well, though with the shortening daylight, and time of year, we get minimal eggs in this transition. We fish in the ocean and have fish scraps frequently, plus we have a 6' by 6' compost pile that we turn over on occasion. Besides letting them free range in the day, and lock them up at night, they get access to the scraps in the compost, plus all the bugs and worms when the material is turned over. I do like to give them small chunks of various meats a time or two a week, occasionally some cottage cheese or other cheeses that are getting a bit older or if I have an abundance of them. In addition, they have a good basic laying feed available around the year. Fresh water available, DE sprinkled on their dust holes (they are always finding new ones), and in their wood chip bedding when I change it out, keeps bugs and mites away. So far, my girls are happy, fat, spoiled, and very friendly. They are great 'watch guards' and let us know when there is a new critter near or in the yard, and get visibly happy when they see us through the windows. I have had a great many animals in my life but never poultry, and now in love with chickens and turkeys. I enjoy and learn so much from this site.

Back
Top Bottom