Chickens and Classical Music

littleandlewis

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 30, 2011
My partner recently read that chickens like classical music. It soothes them and helps build strong bodies. He wants to put a small speaker in their run to play classical music during the day.

Is this a joke or truth?

I have no idea but I will say my blind girl responded and really would pick up when we had her in the house and we played certain kinds of music. We never played classical though. Seemed she liked AC/DC! LOL

Mine like Neil Diamond.....
lol.png

But I do think they respond to music.
Seems to settle down the whole barn when I am cleaning with the music going.
They are also partial to anything Gershwin like
Rhapsody in blue................
Interesting debate.do they relax because of the music.or because I relax from the music and send serene energy............
Go for the speaker............
Toni

Small dairy farmers in WI usually have radios turned on 24/7 for the cows, and it seems that most are set to country music stations!
lol.png

Here are some reason's that I was given when I asked why:

1. ) the constant radio sounds kept the cows calmer and covered up the "Scary" sounds. Dogs barking/ coyotes howling, rabbits being eaten by foxes, a dropped bucket, ...
I guess some of those would be scary if you were in a stantion and couldn't see what was going on around you.

2.) country music has an even, steady beat - sorta like a heart-beat that lulls them into a calm state

3.) the voices on the radio keep preditors away ...

4.) the farmer gets lonely milking alone so the radio keeps them company.

My chicks hatched to Five Finger Death Punch. No, really. They were stalling and hubby cranked the radio! It worked!

Back
Top Bottom