chickens and Coco Coir

I used to use it in the coop but I can no longer buy it loose - only as 'bricks/blocks' which take too long to break up. I never had any problems with it.

I'm thinking of doing the same. I doubt there would be any problems, the stuff is pretty inert.

They use this stuff in composting toilets on small yachts, all reports are zero smell or skank issues

I'm currently using sugar cane mulch, but the dust is way too much. Maybe coconut is better??

I hope it's harmless. I've been throwing aged coconut hull into a gas wood chipper to make potting medium. Coir sheds water and is difficult to wet. But, once it is damp it will matt down.

I hope it's harmless. I've been throwing aged coconut hull into a gas wood chipper to make potting medium. Coir sheds water and is difficult to wet. But, once it is damp it will matt down.
Have a snoop around Hydro grow shops or even garden sections of the local hardware supply. They sell compressed bricks of the stuff, finely ground. They fluff up nicely to around a wheel borrow full once soaked. It will need drying afterwards though.

Not too bad $ wise with only a few chooks. but you're screwed with a big flock.

I just found a block that I bought years ago for lasagna gardening. We put it in the run and chopped it up into small pieces and covered it with fallen leaves. We will probably get 2 or 3 bales of straw to throw in also. If and when I have food scraps they will be thrown in, too.

I just put out a bag of loose coir fibers that was purchased for the snake terrarium . (Makes my kid sneeze indoors).
Figured it would make a nice dry dust bath since the thaw has made their favored sunny spots mud pits.
Popped it in an under the bed storage tote.

Room for 2 chickens.
They are fighting over it.
But they are EATING it and not bathing in it.
Feathery weirdos.
Hopefully it really is inert because the standards are hogs.

I have used it no issues - not for a dust bath, but for a scratch pit (when the rest of the ground is too hard or wet etc). It can get very dry and dusty. Perhaps consider mixing it with some sand? I say that, because mine have not really taken to bathing in it.

I have used it no issues - not for a dust bath, but for a scratch pit (when the rest of the ground is too hard or wet etc). It can get very dry and dusty. Perhaps consider mixing it with some sand? I say that, because mine have not really taken to bathing in it.
They settled down and took turns napping in it. I think the flat bottom was part of the turn off.

Alas the sand needs to dry out. Or really, get replaced.
Lowe's has a courser grain but a more waterproof bag....

Back
Top Bottom