Chickens And Cold!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RIVERA69R, Jan 8, 2010.

1. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    I live in Florida and the next few nights could dip into the upper 20s low 30s now we dont normally get this cold so my question is should I put a heat light in my coop for my four chickens they are almost a year old and healthy or will that weather be no problem thanks. [​IMG]

2. bukbugack

bukbugack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    L.I. New York
    As long as they've been acclimated to the local climate, and are kept out of the wind, they'll be fine. If you have those same breeds you've listed, they might even be more comfy than they would be in the summer.
    Hope your weather improves soon. That's really cold for Venice!

3. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Chickens have sufficient body heat (103deg) and insulation to survive fairly low temperatures. The biggest danger is frostbite of their combs and wattles. I usually put a 100w light in their coop when it gets down into the 20's although folks up north may think this is not necessary. Make sure the light is shielded and can set any nesting material on fire.

4. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    Thanks for the reply I might just go get a red heat light for the next two nights then by nexy week its hopefully back in the upper 60s low 70s I got a new fishing pole for Christmas and I want to go to the beach and use it LOL!!! [​IMG]

5. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Because your area is not accustomed to this weather, I would get a heat lamp too! Being in Nebraska ours are used to having cold temps so they can handle the extra cold when it happens!

6. bukbugack

bukbugack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    L.I. New York
    Be REALLY careful with a heat lamp. Much greater potential danger to the birds than the cold.

Fishing! Now you're talking! I've been trying to gear myself up to go for cod. That's about the only option right now in these parts. 12 hour trip on the Atlantic in January.
    Fishing on the beach in Venice with temps in the 70's sounds good to me.

7. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    We are in Alabama and it's very cold here now ~ 15F at night. I have two hens and rather than put the red heat light in I used a blue light. It is supposed to have a calming effect on chickens and it worked! They can be purchased in different watts. I had an infrared light but my one hen was scared of it and would not lie down, when I changed it to the blue light they were both happy. I got it at the pet store it is used for reptiles actually and is called a Moon Glo or Moonlight light. Straw is very warm, so if you can provided a thick layer that will keep them warmer.

8. kota1369

kota1369 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Quote:I totally agree.......... they will be fine. Right now we are 6 degrees, so I take the girls warm water and treats like warm rice, spagetti, oatmeal............. they do like that when its cold.
    The main thing is keeping the humidity down in their coop. So good ventalation is a must.

The lady with the 4 dogs and 4 city chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by