Chickens and compost bins - do they go together?

countrygirl1

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 21, 2011
Queensland, Australia
In my chicken coop I have built a 2 x 1 square meter compost heap with star pickets and wire. Into it I place all of their veg and fruit scraps from the fruit shop. They eat and scratch in the heap. Is this safe for them as they do scratch into the scraps that have started to break down and decompose, and have been manured on?

Every couple of weeks I cover the heap with cardboard and throw their scraps on the top of this. Making layers that I hope will turn into the best compost ever.

Thanks

I don't see a problem with it. Its good that with each new pile that you add another card board piece over the old.

My chickens like a wide range of scraps from the dinner table.

I also do this in a portion of my largest coop, on one end of the run I have all the compost I wet it down good every day and then throw some scratch in over it. They will work on that for a couple of day's, each day I turn it with a shovel. It breaks down very fast this way and is ready for the garden quicker, I make about 4 big wheel barrows full every 2 mo, and it comes out so nice and crumblyand real workable. I like the fact the chickens do all the work.

The only reason I don't like keeping my compost near my chickens is I'm afraid it will attract nefarious creatures (even tho we only compost plant matter, we live in predator-landia and coons will eat anything). Otherwise I think it's great and like another poster mentioned, the chickens get in there and help keep things turned over.

Thanks for your posts everyone. I'm trying to multitask with the veg scraps for feeding and then the leftovers being worked over into great compost. With Spring almost here now, I'm looking forward to a productive few seasons in the veg garden. The compost should be excellent.

Sounds great. I would make sure your coop is large enough and ventilated. Some compost gives off alot of ammonia which so does chicken poo. So you just want to make sure the coop is good and ventilated.

Back
Top Bottom