Chickens and coop sizes

cherrykist

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Greensboro North Carolina
I will be moving to the country soon and I am planning on raising chickens. How many feet per chicken is recommended for a coop? Obviously the more space the better but just wondering. Same question but for run area? Should the "flooring" be different in the coop from the run?

Tammy

I'm going to say 3 sq. ft. per bird as a general rule. The larger the birds are the more space they need, smaller needs less space, how active the breed is and so forth all affect that number.

I went for the 'more' side of things. My LFs have 5.4 sqft each, currently (I actually have a few to sell, so it should be more) and my bantams have the same, but I'm looking to add four more birds instead.
I think they like the indoor space, because they don't go out in the rain or the snow (they loath the snow and refuse to touch it).

Aaaand another point in favour of the 'more' is that they get let out early 6 days a week. The extra space means we get a lie-in once a week without having to worry about stressed birds. Bliss. Turn over and go back to sleep *dreamy sigh*

P.S. I live where it rains and snows, but not everyone does.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom