chickens and dog proof traps

Oh, looks like coons. I wouldn't' use that, it seems inhumane and cruel to the animal if it were me. You can get coons to go away just by properly predator proofing. Please try to predator proof ad let them go away on there own before trapping, and I am assuming killing?

I can see a chicken doing just that, lol. But I've never used one, hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.
I use actual foot traps. But I only keep them set at night. I can think of a few of my chickens who would stick their head into it. TBH it would probably snap a chickens neck. I've never stuck a finger in that style. But to hold a racoon down will be some force behind that snap.

For the OP
If your going to use them, check them daily if not a couple times a day. Don't just leave animals there to suffer! Good luck to your predator problems!

I have caught coons & possums in the dog-proof traps before, & have 2 set currently as i type. The trip lever inside the trap can Only be set off if the lever is grasped & Pulled. Pushing on the lever from above has no effect. Thats why dog-proof traps only work with small critters that have grasping hands & fingers, such as coons and possums. Someone on another thread did warn me that a dog could possibly get their Tongue caught in the trap, But I really dont see any possible way a chicken could insert their head and beak in far enough to get under the lever & trip the trap. However i do put the traps out of range of my chickens during the daytime, because they certainly will eat all the tuna & dog kibble they can reach with their beak. Making it necessary to re-bait the trap every night.

I use live traps so if I have an accidental catch I can release it. I have caught skunks, possums, fox, rabbits, cats, a vulture in my traps. I actually caught an owl once.

Back
Top Bottom