Chickens and Family infested with Red and Black mites

JumpinOmega

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 18, 2012
After searching BYC and the web I have decided to tell and then ask.

I have 4 chickens around 6 months old. (1 is a silkie) I also have 3 2.5 month old chicks (2 are silkies).

I treated all of the chickens with a All Natural Spray yesterday. I sprayed the coop and nesting boxes top to bottom. I put dust down in the run, flower beds and dirt areas in my yard.
After the chickens dried I could still see live mites crawling on the chickens.
I have not treated my grass, house, dogs, indoor bird, kids or adults. I woke up last night with the mites crawling on my face, in my hair and on my body. And I swear they were crawling in my nose last night. They are in my bed!!!??? We all showered after cleaning yesterday.
So today I am doing bedding and any clothing not in drawers. I vacuum every day... Ok Maybe 6 times a week. What else do I need to do to get rid of these disgusting little vermits that are invading my territory?

Thank you for speedy comments. Please use simple wording and directions for me. I have small children and have a hard time sitting down to read anything that takes much brain power with 3 kids saying Mom, screaming, demanding something....

DE (diatomaceous earth)

I had an infestation in my basement after I brought a sick chicken inside. I covered everything in it, myself included. That took care of them. Just be careful not to breath it in. I looked like a nut covered in white dust, but it worked. I just vacuumed up the dust afterwords. Not sure how well that would work in a house with carpeting.

DE (diatomaceous earth)

I had an infestation in my basement after I brought a sick chicken inside. I covered everything in it, myself included. That took care of them. Just be careful not to breath it in. I looked like a nut covered in white dust, but it worked. I just vacuumed up the dust afterwords. Not sure how well that would work in a house with carpeting.
I am itchign talkng about it ..How long would that take to be pest free? Guesstimate.

So for the 7 dust. If the local feed doesnt carry it should I go to the internet and purchase online? Does anyone know a good site to purchase from?
As for the spray, which one is more recommended? Do I spray it like I would Lysol... all over the furniture and then do the perimiter of the house (inside and out)?
Or should I get some of that stuff u get from Home Depot that you pump and spray. (I'm not sure if that kills mites though. I know it kills spiders, ants, fleas, ticks.....But I am fearfull about the animals coming in contact with the spray. I guess I can lock everyone up and then spray). I could do the perimater with that and then find something for the inside of the house.
My coop and run is about a ft from my house and my porch. So when I was dusting yesterday I made sure to get all around the coop and run.
I have read that ppl just put their chickens in a pillow case and shake them like shake and bake. If decided so, should I do the same instead of doing the spray every other day? Will this be safe for my silkie and for the 2.5 month olds? Also, if I shake them in a pillowcase, should I flip them upside down when shaking them in the dust? How much dust do I use for ea of my larger hens? I have a Barred Rock, Buff Orpington and a Delaware. My silky is maybe 1/2 a pound. How much should I use for my 2.5 month olds?

I just got done vacuuming my bedroom again and found another one on my face. If I throw my pillows in the dryer for 30 mins will it kill them? Soooo itchy. I'm freakin out. I keep reading about freezing stuff. I know I cant fit my bedding in the freezer.
Never had this problem in Oregon. And I only cleaned the run once every 6 months. And everyone around us had farms. Now I clean more and infested with these dang things. EEEEEGaagggs!

Back
Top Bottom