Chickens and gardening question

Blackberries grow wild here. No one ever plants them, but cuts them down as a weed. I can't see that the chickens do any damage to the blackberry vines

Same here. The chicken will eat the berries they can reach and will jump up a little to get the ones just out of reach. But above a couple of feet, the berries belong to the wild birds and me.

They eat the rose hips they can reach, too.​

I would love to undertake a project like that. If I could only be 19 again. It has occured to me, often that I am paying more for feed than I would like and I try not to. But I do it by pasturing my flock. I often wonder if I would garden for my chickens, how many extra beds would I really need and how difficult would it be. Its not like I don't have a bit of land to use, but I will have to work it and thats hard.
I wonder if I can deep bed corn in a fairly long row about 3 feet wide X about 17 feet. Maybe I can talk to my other half about it. I have a lot of pilings that are rotting and I have nothing to do with, unless I can do something temporary.

My chickens leave the leaves of my raspberries and blackberries alone, but if they get the chance, they will pick every berry they can reach. I have lots of other green things they like better. I now keep the chickens fenced out while the raspberries are producing.

The chickens have never really bothered our raspberries. Plus, when the berries are ripe there are usually plenty of japanese beetles, and they go after those first. I'll gladly sacrifice a few raspberries to get rid of the beetles.

Quote:
Same here. The chicken will eat the berries they can reach and will jump up a little to get the ones just out of reach. But above a couple of feet, the berries belong to the wild birds and me.

They eat the rose hips they can reach, too.

Mine jump for raspberries too!

Quote:
My chickens LOVE rose petals. The run has a big, old rose bush next to it. When it was blooming I would shake the canes to drop petals into the run for them. If you have fancy rose bushes, they'll probably eat any blooms they can reach.

Back
Top Bottom