Chickens and geese throwing up white foamy liquid! Help!

Ella_r_ab

Chirping
Mar 8, 2021
I first noticed my goose shaking his head while white liquid would fly everywhere. The first two times I thought nothing of it really, but he won’t stop doing it 5 seconds apart. Then we have a rooster who is dripping saliva without shaking his head.
i don’t know what to do :(

(I can’t catch then and the video I have doesn’t show it properly, but if needed I could post)

Two things. One, I'm not a poultry disease expert (and thankfully, have had no cause to become one). I know that's not helpful.

Second thing, don't panic (yet), your patience will be rewarded. BYC has a handful of very active posters who are very good w/ poultry diseases. On of them should be along shortly. a link to you tube is usually the best way to get a video posted, btw - and yes, it may well help.

In the interim, any other symptoms? Excess water consumption? lethargy? dietary changes? twitching? loss of balance? difficulty walking? milkiness to the eyes? nasal discharge? changes in fecal color or consistency??? all can be helpful with differential diagnosis.

Flagging a few of those posters -

@Eggcessive
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock

It sounds like these two birds may have gotten a dose of a toxic substance, perhaps rat poison or toadstool. To be safe, I suggest giving each an immediate flush of their system by mixing two teaspoons of molasses into a half a cup of warm water. Mix a half a teaspoon of activated charcoal for each bird into their portion. Give one half to each bird as their only water source. They need to drink it all. Or syringe it into them.

Then you need to search for anything toxic they might have consumed. Moldy food, poison, or toxic plants.

Last edited:
It sounds like these two birds may have gotten a dose of a toxic substance, perhaps rat poison or toadstool. To be safe, I suggest giving each an immediate flush of their system by mixing two teaspoons of molasses into a half a cup of warm water. Mix a half a teaspoon of activated charcoal for each bird into their portion. Give one half to each bird as their only water source. They need to drink it all. Or syringe it into them.

Then you need to search for anything toxic they might have consumed. Moldy food, poison, or toxic plants.
I agree a toxin sounds likely.

Back
Top Bottom