Chickens and heat lamps

newchicken- mom

Hatching
Feb 6, 2023
Okay so I am new here! My father in law bought our kids(with our permission) 4 hens and a rooster back in October. They are currently around 20
weeks give or take. They are called cinnamon queens. Now I have been looking all over the place and have even read quite a bit in here. But we didn't really know much before and a friend of mine uses heat lamps so I assumed it was needed. Now I am seeing and was told by another person I know(didn't know they had chickens lol) that chickens don't need heat lamps and they can actually be pretty dangerous in coops. Also our heat lamp is not wanting to stay in place so I definitely need to get it out. I have it fixed right now and its up and out of their way but I'm still worried. So our chickens have had a heat source all of their lives, but I want to take it out of their Coop. My question is what is the best way to get the heat out without stressing them out? Can I just take it out? Or do I need to just start lessening the time it is on and decrease the length of time every couple days or every week? We live in southeast Iowa so our winters are usually not subzero Temps and the next week or 2 it is suppose to be 40s in the day and 20s/30s througg the night so not crazy cold! If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!!!!

Are they sleeping close to the heat lamp? Their position with respect to it might give us a better idea how addicted they are to the heat.
When I go out at night to close their door they usually seem to be more away from it rather than right next to it. So I assume they don't care much for it but I don't want to shock them or anything lol today is the 2nd day I've turned it off for the day. Then turn it on at night but last night they really seemed to be mad it was there😅 they were huddled to the opposite side

When I go out at night to close their door they usually seem to be more away from it rather than right next to it. So I assume they don't care much for it but I don't want to shock them or anything lol today is the 2nd day I've turned it off for the day. Then turn it on at night but last night they really seemed to be mad it was there😅 they were huddled to the opposite side
Then, you can probably turn it off

I agree-if they're clustered away from it they don't need or want it. I would just pull it. I have taken chicks off the heat lamp by weaning them off it during the day first then at night but sometimes I get impatient (cause chickens in the garage is a mess) and just boot them into the coop with a little box or something they can huddle in if necessary. I am sure full grown chickens will do even better.

I agree-if they're clustered away from it they don't need or want it. I would just pull it. I have taken chicks off the heat lamp by weaning them off it during the day first then at night but sometimes I get impatient (cause chickens in the garage is a mess) and just boot them into the coop with a little box or something they can huddle in if necessary. I am sure full grown chickens will do even better.
That's what I was thinking, they are grown it should be fine. But I didn't want to just assume lol we are impatiently waiting for our 1st eggs and I don't want to cause stress😅 but I did turn it off and I'll probably keep it off tonight and see how they do! And yes our chickens stayed in the house in a big tote🤦‍♀️🤣 bad idea🤣🤣

Hi, welcome to the forum from Louisiana. I'm glad you got here.

Unless you are somewhere that you are getting temperatures below -20 F (-29 C) they have not needed heat for probably three months. What kind of temperatures are you getting? Unless it is in the seriously negative Fahrenheits you are not going to shock them by removing that lamp.

It scares me when you say it doesn't want to stay in place. I use a heat lamp for my brooder but I wire it in place so it cannot fall. Chain would work but that clamp is dangerous, I consider it unreliable.

Now that you are here feel free to ask all kinds of questions. Don't assume anything.

Often times people come on afraid that sudden change in temperature will give their birds a shock. I have lived in SD all my life, and it is not uncommon to have 50-60 degree temperature swings (I rather thought everyone had them).

My chickens have always done just fine. Turn them off, I bet the chickens hate them at night, they like the darkness for sleeping.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom