Chickens and hot weather

Mokkinjay

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2018
Hi I am new here. I moved on to my homestead about 3 month ago and as a house warming present a friend bought me 11 chickens 1 rooster and 10 hens (babies) They have been done by great but yesterday I found my rooster dead nothing to say why ( they have a preditor safe space) the only thing I believe could of killed him is the heat, I live in Texas it was 107 yesterday , they have shade and access to water but I’m wondering if there is anything else I can do to help keep them cool . I really don’t want to loose anymore

I’m sorry that you lost your rooster. I’ve lost 6 birds since I got my first flock of chickens and ducks two and a half years ago. I know how tough and sad it is to lose one. I researched a lot throughout the few years that I’ve had my birds. A things I learned is that cold and frozen veggies and fruits like watermelon, broccoli, carrots, etc. that are safe for them to eat help keep them cool. I’ve also heard that if you put veggies like corn kernels and peas in ice cube trays and fill them with water then freeze them, your birds will keep cool while trying to get the veggies. Again, I’m sorry you lost your rooster. I hope these ideas help and that you don’t lose any more of your birds. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your life with your chickens.

First and foremost...:welcome! I hope ant you enjoy this site as much as the rest of us do! I have learned SOOO much from this site, and I hope that you do too!:love

Secondly, I'm SO sorry you roo died!!:hugsI have had many chickens die... but it's just a part of owning chickens, it's gonna happen at some point sadly. I had a hen die from getting locked in my coop on a hot summers day a couple weeks ago ( I usually leave the coop open, but the door got blown closed) I know your pain!!

Here is a website that has some good ideas on how to keep your chickens cool in this summer heat!!

https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/how-to-keep-hens-cool/

Hope this helps... Good luck!:thumbsup

Hi I am new here. I moved on to my homestead about 3 month ago and as a house warming present a friend bought me 11 chickens 1 rooster and 10 hens (babies) They have been done by great but yesterday I found my rooster dead nothing to say why ( they have a preditor safe space) the only thing I believe could of killed him is the heat, I live in Texas it was 107 yesterday , they have shade and access to water but I’m wondering if there is anything else I can do to help keep them cool . I really don’t want to loose anymore
I too live in TX, and, know the heat is a killer. So sorry about your rooster. Did the hens do ok? What are the breed of your rooster and hens?

Back
Top Bottom