Chickens and Lumpins

Nannaness

Hatching
6 Years
May 26, 2013
Mississippi
Okay. I'm gonna add a little bit off background info, not really necessary but I do love to type. I found my first chicken in my backyard after a couple of dogs chased her into our garden. I loved taking care of her so my grandfather got me three more. One of them was an evil lookin' sucker named Josephine. For the past few months I've noticed that feathers have been ruffled on her back and the ends of a few of them have turned white (she's brown and black). Recently she went missing for a few days and now that she's back the lump of feathers has grown. Now it's nearly the size of a fist. I'm pretty sure it grew steadily and I just didn't notice, but I'm sure noticing now. Any idea what this is? It feels solid as far as I can tell. It doesn't seem to bother her but it's a little worrisome. Any input is appreciated.

This is Josie, in all her lumpy glory. She isn't old by the way. Just started laying last november.

Last edited:
Have you examined her closely...to see if there is something in there, whether it's funky feathers or something on her skin?

Back
Top Bottom