chickens and mating behavior

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kindir, Nov 17, 2011.

1. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    OK, this is may be a strange question, but I had a broody cochin hen in with a bantam mixed-breed roo and I put some eggs under the cochin. She hatched one single golden laced polish chick. I kept the three of them together and the roo has always been great. Now the polish chick has grown into an adult, fully feathered, hen but I have not ONCE seen the rooster try to mate with her.

I'm sure if I removed her and put her back he probably would, but if they are kept together from day one do roosters "know" that it's a bad idea? It just seemed odd to me but I spend quite a bit of time with my chickens and I've NEVER seen him try. Anyone else experienced this?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    They don't know it is a bad idea. Have you checked the eggs for the bull's eye to see of they are fertile?

3. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    No, she's not laying yet. My polish always seem to take FOREVER to lay. But excellent idea when she does start! I certainly tend to agree that they wouldn't know any better (especially since I've seen siblings raised together have no problem) but it is just so bizarre that I never see him try it, there is no feather loss where the cochin has some. Maybe he just prefers the cochin ;-)

4. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    A docile rooster generally doesn't try to tread non-laying females. [​IMG]
    Often adolescent or extra hormonal roosters will try to tread anything in sight. But yours sounds like normal behaviour given that the pullet isn't laying.

regards
    Erica

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Grown men aren't interested in pencil-thin 12yr-olds... Grown roosters aren't interested in pencil-thin pre-adolescent pullets. Hormones speak silent volumes!! [​IMG]

6. Wyandottelover

Wyandottelover New Egg

May 15, 2016
    Hi. I've got same problem with my Wyandottes. I bought them together and raised them in the same coop. It's been 17 weeks since I bought them and never seen the rooster trt to mate the hen. Thehen does not lay egg yet. Also last week I bought 3 Araucana, 2 of them laying eggs. The first time I mixed rhemqirh the Wyandottes in the garden the rooster mounted all of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by