chickens and my fruit trees.....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SunnySideUpFarm, Jan 2, 2013.

1. SunnySideUpFarm

SunnySideUpFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2012
    NE Mississippi
    i have several different fruit trees..... i have apple, peach, plum, and mayhaw trees. i also have blueberry and muscadine plants as well.

im wanting to let my chickens take care of some of my bug problems with the trees...but will they eat some/all of these fruits?

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Yes, they will eat all of those fruits. You will be okay if your trees are tall, but you won't have any berries on those bushes.

1 person likes this.
  3. SunnySideUpFarm

Oct 6, 2012
    NE Mississippi
    its ok...im putting the berry plants in there pretty much for them....

4. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    They will love it. We have indian Mulberry that grows wild in our pasture and when the berries are ripe the birds just strip the plant. We feed ours all kinds of fruit scraps as treats. Some of the birds prefer some fruits over others and none of them really care for citrus fruits but Cantalope or Watermelon are favs.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Mine love all the fruit I give them. Apples seem to be a favorite. I also have a mulberry tree - they clean up whatever falls to the ground. I can tell when they been munching the berries - they come back with purple beaks!

1 person likes this.
  6. SunnySideUpFarm

Oct 6, 2012
    NE Mississippi
    i have over 20 fruit trees...so im sure they will be in chicken heaven...

7. coffeenutdesign

coffeenutdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Texas
    Wow, I would love to have some fruit trees. It's on my list to buy next spring, but it would still be a while before they produced anything.

8. hereorthere

hereorthere Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Pacific NW
    What kinds of bug problem are you referring to? I've got 3 lg. plum trees in the chicken's area and the hens will devor the plums that hit the ground, however so will the wasp. My hens don't/won't eat wasp.... but will go for other insects- ants, pill bugs, spiders.
    Apples - I've had to squish them open with the heel of my boots so they'd start eating them.... I suppose I have prima donna hens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by