chickens and my fruit trees.....

SunnySideUpFarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 6, 2012
NE Mississippi
i have several different fruit trees..... i have apple, peach, plum, and mayhaw trees. i also have blueberry and muscadine plants as well.

im wanting to let my chickens take care of some of my bug problems with the trees...but will they eat some/all of these fruits?

They will love it. We have indian Mulberry that grows wild in our pasture and when the berries are ripe the birds just strip the plant. We feed ours all kinds of fruit scraps as treats. Some of the birds prefer some fruits over others and none of them really care for citrus fruits but Cantalope or Watermelon are favs.
droolin.gif

Mine love all the fruit I give them. Apples seem to be a favorite. I also have a mulberry tree - they clean up whatever falls to the ground. I can tell when they been munching the berries - they come back with purple beaks!

Wow, I would love to have some fruit trees. It's on my list to buy next spring, but it would still be a while before they produced anything.

What kinds of bug problem are you referring to? I've got 3 lg. plum trees in the chicken's area and the hens will devor the plums that hit the ground, however so will the wasp. My hens don't/won't eat wasp.... but will go for other insects- ants, pill bugs, spiders.
Apples - I've had to squish them open with the heel of my boots so they'd start eating them.... I suppose I have prima donna hens!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom