chickens and power tools

My chickies love to follow DH on the lawn tractor when he tills up our garden spot.. They line up and wait for the field mice to bail. Then they run crazy all over the yard chasin the mice down and pulverizing them.. Very fun to watch!!

Quote:
Please....don't....fight.....urge!!!!
cool.png

love to see it!

Quote:
Please....don't....fight.....urge!!!!
cool.png

love to see it!

That's what I'm thinking. Don't forget the safety goggles. Safety first.
D.gif

I have to be careful when I mow --- or we could be having fried chicken for dinner, pre-plucked!
They like the grasshoppers that go flying out of the way of the mower!

They aren't afraid of the mower, but they are terrified of the electric weed whacker that makes half as much noise....go figure
roll.png

Our chickens never really minded the sound of the power tools (do keep their distance when the chain saw's going), even the turkey toms don't bother gobbling at them any more. It is the use of manual tools, i.e., rakes and shovels, that have to be used with care (love to follow the rakes - got to see what worms and grubs are being turned up with the shovels).

Interesting aside: If we have to fire a rifle, or pistol, once, they just look up and then go about their foraging. If the weapons are being fired rapidly, they take off to hide under the deck (they `know' that a `bad thing' is being engaged).

Last edited:
I occasionally turn their runs with a small tiller. They don't seem to mind and walk behind hoping I dig up something.
Have to be careful too as a few came very close to just walking into the tines looking for what it dug up.

After the ice storm and all the downed pine trees they ignored my dad cutting up the trees with a chainsaw.
To be honest; they didn't mind the pine tree either as it fell on the coop killing one of them. They just sat
tight with no roof.

Last edited:
My coop is about 100' feet from one of the busiest freight train lines in the state. Close to 30 loaded down coal trains rumble by every day. Even worse, there's a crossing about a 1/4 mile away, so all of the north bound trains also blow their horns as they pass by. I think it took the chickens about two weeks to acclimate to the noise, but now they pay it no mind. I promise you, nothing short of light artillery could be louder than those trains, so I think you are okay.

Mine were Cooped during Hurricane IKE and after that there was a whole lot of chain sawing going on.

Every now and again I still hear them immitate the noise of howling winds and especially Chain Saws. As if the real thing isn't enough. They Like Loud Noise, They Are Nuts.

Back
Top Bottom