Chickens and rain

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jm22508, Sep 16, 2012.

1. jm22508

jm22508 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I live in Texas, where it never rains. Finally, we've been blessed with a weekend of decent rain for the first time in ages!

It's been raining moderately hard all morning, and although I've had the run door open all day, everyone has stayed in, under the shelter. Now that it's slacking off a bit, three (two hens and my rooster) have come out into the middle of the yard and are just standing there. It's the oddest thing to watch since they're ALWAYS on the move, scratching, pecking, eating, etc. It's as if they're enjoying the cool rain! Furthermore, I find myself standing in the window watching them stand there, almost in the same trance they seem to be in!

Rain drops running down the Black Australorp's back is particularly beautiful.

1 person likes this.
  2. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    The rain brings the insects to the surface which your chickens will soon discover makes a feast. So glad you got rain. I know your chickens will enjoy it too.

3. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    I'm up here in E. Texas where it never rains too! This morning though we're also getting some nice gentle rain showers. My chickens are out in force scratching and enjoying the coolness. Funny how their colors look so much brighter when it's wet out! The red of their combs and wattles looks sooo much darker and redder! It is hypnotic watching them. [​IMG] Mine love the rain! ( but not the hose!) [​IMG]

4. Scoutmedic

Scoutmedic Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2012
    South-Central Texas
    I'm in the same boat as JM. It's been raining here in NW San Antonio nonstop for the past 6 hours. My plans to work in the run have been spoiled by standing water and mud. Not that I'm complaining though....

5. Macro

Macro Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Los Angeles County
    It's so weird to me that you guys mention places in Texas where it never rains. XD I used to live in Houston and it rained all the time.

Now I'm in the SoCal desert and in a similar situation. We get like 2 weeks of rain a year. Hahaha.

It rained last week for the first time since the chickens have lived outside and they loved it. I thought for sure they'd run under the coop (they hate the hose), but instead they were outside just standin' in it! Must have felt so good to them!

6. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    -good rain in N. Central Texas this morning as well. The flock was out scratching on the lawn. -made some nice mud holes [​IMG]!!! Oh well, I know they enjoyed themselves tremendously. -have been chasing moths from the star jasmine and knockout rosebushes all afternoon. -been a good day for the chickens - nice and cool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by