Chickens and sleep habits

MountainMomma359

Songster
Apr 14, 2022
Two questions about chicken sleep:
1) I have 3 girls I've raised from chicks and a few weeks ago got an older hen (1 or 2 yrs). The girls put themselves to bed at dark and get upset if I try to put them to bed earlier, so about 9pm right now. Momma, as I call her, puts herself to bed much earlier, usually by 8. Is it just an age thing?
2) I know that going to bed at dark is normal and that has me wondering about winter as this will be my first with chickens. Will they really sleep that long? Like from 5 something at night to 6-7ish the next morning? Or just hang out in the coop alot more? Would adding a bit of light to the run for more outdoor time be good?

I have noticed that the "teenagers" tend to be the last to roost.

Yes, they will sleep through the dark.

I haven't used supplemental light, but if you do it's recommended to use it in the morning so that the birds don't get caught out in the dark when the light turns off.

Also, dawn and dusk are often when predators are most active so lighting the run might not be wise. :)

I have noticed that the "teenagers" tend to be the last to roost.

Yes, they will sleep through the dark.

I haven't used supplemental light, but if you do it's recommended to use it in the morning so that the birds don't get caught out in the dark when the light turns off.

Also, dawn and dusk are often when predators are most active so lighting the run might not be wise. :)
Does it seem odd that the older one goes to bed at least a full hour before dark? Yeah my girls are at 20 weeks so still a bit young and stubborn 😂
I have some solar lights that slowly dim, might have to think on that one. That's crazy they'll sleep that long!

Back
Top Bottom