Chickens and Snakes

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hummingbird Hollow, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I had just let my 10 week old pullets out for a little free ranging when one came running up with something hanging out of her beak. At first I thought it was a big earth worm but when I looked closer I realized that it was a tiny snake. She was beating it against the ground, probably trying to break it into bite-sized pieces. I was rather amazed because I've never seen snakes around here. Should I have taken it away from her? I kind of figured that chickens generally know what is edible and what isn't and left her to it.

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Yeah, im not sure, but i think they give up after a while. thats totally normal for chickens!
    Once my chickens found a toad. a little while later the toad was no more.

3. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Good chicken! I wish they would take on a 4' rat snake... [​IMG]

4. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ours took care of a three footer two days ago [​IMG] and mice that's another story [​IMG]

5. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    My Delaware is an expert mouser and lizard catcher. I'm sure the flock would attack a snake. I try to spare and relocate the snakes.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    My broody has been finding 6 inch snakes for her 8 week chicks lately and they go crazy over them. Suck them down like spaghetti [​IMG]

7. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:LOL yeah, I've got some beautiful black racers here that I would hate to see my girls get ahold of.

8. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    [​IMG]

Mine thought it was a novelty item. This chicken actually got bit by the snake. She limped for days. They do, however, love mice and toads.

9. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Thanks for the input folks. I was actually away from my computer for almost two days! WOW, that must be close to a record! I think the snake got eaten because I couldn't find any remains.

Great photo superchemicalgirl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by