Chickens and snow

8 divine chicks

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Hey all of you chicken lovers out there! It's about 25 degrees today here in Utah and very snowy about 5 inches deep. This is my first winter with my chickens. Can I let them run around in it or do I keep them in when it's like this?

You can let them out for sure. if it gets too cold for them just supply a place that they can get out of it or stay dry and warm. i know my chickens thought the snow was very strange and scary, now they go out in it but they usually look for places to hang out w/o the snow lol

I guess the choice is yours . I have read many that let them out and chickens love playing in the snow . I certainly would not keep them locked up in a coop most of the winter .
idunno.gif

The other day it was -10 celsius (14 F) and the silly Delawares and sex-links went out and ran around in the snow. I threw them some sunflower seeds and scratch and they were totally happy.

Mine are kept in an enclosed run with a roof so they don't get much snow(keeps them dry - can't free range they would be eaten) but they LOVE eating the snow that falls off my boots, once I saw that now sometimes I bring in a snowball or two for a "Treat"

So no worries, let them roam if ya can!

I opened my pop door this morning, gave fresh water and scratch in the coop. I have not seen even a head pop out of the doorway. It's 12degrees and they aren't coming out for nothing
roll.png

I was a little nervous yesterday as well... it snowed all day yesterday and our girls
just hung out by the kitchen door, as if they were waiting to come in for hot cocoa. From time to time, they'd wander around the yard eating and playing, and Hazel, our 1st laying girl (6 days in a row... she took Saturday off!) even layed a cute little egg despite the cold. We hung a light that kept the temp down in their coop and made sure they had plenty of water. When I got up to feed them this morning, they were just hanging out inside the coop. I fed them and they seemed fine, aside from the fact that they stayed
inside when they normally run like criminals for the yard once the gate is opened!

I usually have to shovel an area and encourage the hens to come out by spreading a little hay or leaves - once out they tend to stay out of deep snow, but I think it is healthier overall for them to get fresh air.

If windchills are pending, I keep them locked up if they will be 1o below zero or worse.

Having said that, I have a new group of hens who won't come out no matter what - lost all my flock to a dog last summer and am starting over - I have to chase these out of their coop and then they stay in the dirt in a covered area - but they at least get to dust bathe.

Right now, it is 20 below zero without counting windchills, and I am leaving them inside!

lau.gif
gig.gif
I'm SO mean, I make my chickens work when it snows...

I throw their scratch on the pathways, so they scratch it up and prevent it from compacting and becoming slick ice!

They LOVE their job!

Back
Top Bottom