Chickens and Spiders??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ReillyJ, Feb 7, 2015.

1. ReillyJ

ReillyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2014
    Snohomish, WA
    I don't know what sub forum to post this in so...

i have 4 hens that i acquired in May and they free range during the day which includes around the perimeters of my house and i am wondering (and HOPE it's not a coincidence) if the reason i didn't see the usual influx of the "giant house spiders" that we have in WA state during the Fall is that maybe the chickens ate a lot of them and the eggs?

Thought just popped in my head :)

2. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    I've seen my chickens eat a few spiders, but they don't go crazy for them. But I know that can depend a lot on what their momma hen taught them is "good eats" thought....

I think I'll tell my wife that it's true though, regardless. She hates spiders, so that would make her appreciate the chickens (and overlook the poop on the deck stairs) more :)

3. nj2wv

nj2wv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    Mine eat spiders.

They eat stink bugs too. Everyone one around here are swarmed in them. Not at my house. The chickens keep them under control.

4. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I don't think there is a bug, spider, beetle on the farm that the chickens won't eat. There is hardly any spoders in the barn anywhere.

5. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    The only thing I haven't been able to get my chickens to eat are those [email protected]#$ing squash bugs. I had some success with a young batch of chicks I got over the summer--we'll see if they maintain an interest in eating them when summer returns. Spiders, though? Oh yeah. They won't hesitate to eat any crawlies they see scurrying through the grass.

6. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't say with certainty that they helped eliminate them, but they sure wouldn't help them.

7. seagirl

seagirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    my girls love love spiders and all of the other icky critters I don't care for. a few of them have even been spotted eating small mice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by